1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

good teachers in north east OH?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by burning-beard, Apr 9, 2009.

1. burning-beard

burning-beard

Feb 2, 2009
    Hello all,I've been trying to teach myself to play bass for about half a year now.I've been using studybass.com,bass guitar for dummies and the Hal Leanard bass method books for most of that time but I think it is time I went the extra mile and found a teacher as I feel i'm not really progressing anymore.

I would say I have a basic knowledge of bass playing.Scales,chords,etc. But I would definaitly like to learn more,and find out if I actually am doing what I think I know how to do the right way lol.

So If anyone knows or happens to be a bass instructor in the cleveland/n.e OH area (I live in Brookpark) I would be happy to hear from ya.Thanks

2. gonzilla

gonzilla

Jan 26, 2009
    I'm from the area. Have you tried looking at Cleveland State? It has an Applied Music class for bass. The Cleveland Music School Settlement is good also.

Both will have bass instructors who have at least a graduate degree in Music Composition or something similar.

3. burning-beard

burning-beard

Feb 2, 2009
    Sounds good,thanks.

I'm guessing these are classes and not one on one instruction right?I would rather have the one on one type deal but I'll still look into your suggestions :D

4. gonzilla

gonzilla

Jan 26, 2009
    They're one on one

5. Hey, Clutch fan, perchance?

Anyway, I looked into bass instruction from Vance School of Music. I got his name from Dave who used to run the Music Co. in Lakewood. He (Vance) is a bass player who specializes in bass instruction. I had a number for him but lost it. I was looking at doing the same thing (teacher). Hope this helps. If you do go ahead, please post the name of who you pick and how you like them either here or PM me. I need to get off my 10 year plateau.:help:

6. burning-beard

burning-beard

Feb 2, 2009
    Yep big fan,Clutch is one of the bands that made me want to play bass ;)

Yeah I'll let you know who I finally decide on and how they are.Hopefully I can find a teacher soon.

7. burning-beard

burning-beard

Feb 2, 2009
    Vance sounds good,I read through the site and it seems like a good option.Do you mind me asking how much his lessons are?Couldn't find anything on his site,though I may have overlooked it.thanks

8. burning-beard

burning-beard

Feb 2, 2009
    nvm,I found the price section ;)