1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good tech in NYC for a setup?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Lefty Geek, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Lefty Geek

Lefty Geek

Feb 13, 2006
    NYC
    Got a '70s Rickenbacker 4001 a few weeks ago, and I want to get it setup. Where to do in NYC? Tried doing a search, but you can't search for 3-letter words like NYC.

I live in Brooklyn and work in Soho. My preference would be anything in those areas if possible.

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Just so you know, NYC Is an acronym for "New York City"
    :D

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I think any of the retail stores on West 48th Street can do the job. I've used Rudy's Music Stop, and recommend them for their solid work, reasonable prices and quick turnaround:

Rudy's Music

I've also used a guy named Norio Imai. Norio apprenticed with Roger Sadowsky, and really knows his stuff. He's a bit on the pricey side, but does great work. He's not in Soho, but he is on West 22nd Street - not very far away:

Norio Imai

Hope that helps...

MM

4. Lefty Geek

Lefty Geek

Feb 13, 2006
    NYC
    Yes, but that would require for people to post using those exact words. Who does that? :hyper:

Not sure why this was moved to the Setup forum. Someone that uses a tech to do a setup probably never reads the Setup forum. That's like looking for an accountant in a "how to do your own taxes" forum. :D

5. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Here's another vote for Norio Imai. Fantastic.

6. I've had good experiences with Matt Brewster at 30th Street Guitars (8th ave) but this is obviously outside of Soho but easy access on the A/C/E subway line.

7. Lefty Geek

Lefty Geek

Feb 13, 2006
    NYC
    How pricey is Norio Imai?

I like the guys at 30th Street Guitars, but I have never used them for setup. They are DR string dealers, so I try to get strings from them, but they close too early for me to shop there.

When I played guitar, I used to go to Richie in the EV, but it's been awhile now. One friend recommended Chelsea Guitars.

8. dblbass

dblbass Commercial User

Mar 24, 2007
    Beacon, NY
    Owner of MBJ guitars, Maker of fine sawdust for Carl Thompson Guitars
    where are you in brooklyn?

9. Lefty Geek

Lefty Geek

Feb 13, 2006
    NYC
    I am in Park Slope/Windsor Terrace. I don't mind going anywhere in the city really, as long as they are available after work.

10. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    Totally out of the question to go east? If not Ed Clarke Guitars, In Ronkonkoma, Ed is THE guy.

11. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    Peekamoose in NYC will do a Plek set up for you.

www.peekamoose.com

251 West 30th Street #7FM
    New York, NY 10001
    (212) 869-2396

12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Um, maybe because you posed a set-up question? :eyebrow:

I'll bet if you called him, he'd give you a quote... :eyebrow:

MM

13. Lefty Geek

Lefty Geek

Feb 13, 2006
    NYC
    Yeah, but he is on vacation. I'm willing to wait if I know what the ballpark range is beforehand.

14. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
  15. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    +1000 for my old friend Evan. He's a great guy and setup wiz. You can hang out while he works and take a look at his two original Fodera Anthony Jackson Contrabasses from the 80's - which he plays wonderfully. Bring your own strings if you don't want D'Addarios...

He is at 106 and West End Avenue, which is a little trek...

16. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Commercial User

Mar 7, 2008
    NE United States
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (as of 10/14/09)
    I have had great experiences with Peekamoose. They do very good work and yes, if you want you can get a Plek which makes your bass play better than you ever imagined it could!

17. Lefty Geek

Lefty Geek

Feb 13, 2006
    NYC
    Isn't the Plek incredibly expensive?

I originally wanted to try someplace this week, but my schedule became to complicated. Will try someplace next week.

Been getting so much different feedback about various techs. One friend used to use Evan, but found him incredibly rude. I did email him once about a year ago asking about the setup tutorial, and he replied with a short email some time after.

Any opinions about Main Drag in WB?

18. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    That does not compute. Evan can have strong opinions about things but I can't imagine anyone calling him rude. BTW, Norio is no cupcake either.

19. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    Plek is expensive but I've heard it's worth it.
    Evan is the most straight forward guy you'd wanna meet. Can't even imagine him being rude.
    I should have recommended him as well.

20. biggreddbass

biggreddbass

Jun 18, 2008
    I recommend Mas Hino.
    Mas used to work for Rudy's on 48th St for yrs & build Pensa basses, the moved to Japan for a few yrs to build for Atelier Z.
    Now he's back in Manhattan working for himself.
    646-438-9045
    IMO, he's one of the best.... and he's also a killer bass player.
    Not sure about pricing, so just call him.