Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good techniques/exercises for perfect fretless intonation?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by InfinityJaco, Aug 9, 2003.

1. InfinityJaco

InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    Illinois
    hey
    I'm looking for other exercises and practice routines to get good fretless intonation on my new Gary Willis signature bass. Right now, I'm playing scales and arpeggios thru a tuner and I just got an idea to record scales and arpeggios on my fretted Warwick and then play fretless over it so it's more using my ear than the tuner screen. Anyone else have any good exercises??

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Two things I've heard can help.

practice your fretted bass in the dark.

practice on your fretted bass playing directly over the frets not behinds them.

other than that I'm not a fretless player so I can't offer any more advice. ;)

3. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    playing "on the frets" of your fretted bass is a good idea.

but please take a look at this: http://garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/intonation.html#3

also, try "fretting" with your fingertips, don't flatten your finger on the strings.

somewhere i read that playing a one-octave-scale without looking at the fingerboard and then checking how well you reached the octave note was a good thing to do.