Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good theory books...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Obsolex, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Ok, i've decided it's time to learn a little theory. Even though I don't want to, I do... But I have bought 1 book about it, and it felt like just a rush, it explained what the book would do for me, but it felt like it rushed you way too much, and I just said whatever with that one...
    But i'll order them online...
    thanks----------

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Get a copy of Rufus Reid's "Evolving Bassist"

3. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I had this one in High School (early 80s) and it is excellent. I believe the newer versions are the original and a "vol 2" combined.

The "Bass Grimmoir" is also excellent.

Our very own Mike Dimin's "The Chordal Approach" is an excellent source for an easy to understand explaination of chord substitutions.

It's also probably a good idea to also have something that doesn't approach theory from a bass perspective (as these others do) just to have balance.

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I just read through my wife's copy of "A Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory", and that's a pretty damn good basic look at theory - explained so chick singers and drummers can understand it :D Seriously, a great place to start.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    On top of books, do not just use this source.

I would recommend: www.musictheory.net

For various lessons and trainers designed to help wih beginning to intermediate theory students.

They have ear trainers too.

6. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    :D :D
    No Way! Impossible! Surely you jest!?!