Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good thing I found out later

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rumblejohn, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Last Thursday at the open mic in the blues bar, I was called up on bass, and a dude named "Warren" was called up on Guitar. Dude was smokin', we jammed blues covers and originals for about 45min, then let others have the stage with the house drummer and keys. Found out later why the guy looked familiar, and the name sounded familiar. He is Warren Haines from Goverment Mule. I tell ya guys it is a real pleasure to jam with that caliber of musician. He is a cool dude too, no ego in the way, just chops and good taste in music. Going to an open mic jam can be rewarding!

John

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Now how cool is that! :cool:

Good deal man, happy for ya John! :)

3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    MUCH COOL!!!!!
    Steve

4. WHAT?!Q?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

No way. Where was this? Dude, Warren Haynes is the man!

5. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    That's AWESOME! I was reading and when you said Warren I was like, no way it's going to be Warren Haynes. Wow, that must have been increadible. He's deifnantly an awesome guy, and an even better guitarist.

6. Yeah, I saw that coming a mile away too.

7. A little blues bar in Sanford, FL called The Alley. I'm going out later to buy my father's day gift to me, a Gov't Mule album. I jammed with some guys Sat who were big fans of his, and listened to a CD, and the man sounds just as good live as he does on a fullly mastered CD, yes he da man. Also, I don't want to even hint that I am in the same league, but it sure was fun. The house drummer "George" is rock solid, and that make it somewhat easier too.

John

8. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    Man now that is just to freak'en cool I would love just to meet him! And you got the chance to jam with him. I would be on cloud nine right now.

cheers.

9. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Ha, that is awesome. I think his playing is much better in live than studio - much more feeling.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Very cool. I had the same experience with John Fogarty years ago at a bar in a small town out in the woods of Central Washington State. He was in town for a hunting trip, stopped by the bar for a few beers, and decided he wanted to jam with us.

-Mike

11. The guy I jammed with was introduced to me as Warren Hanes, guitarist, singer with many alblums out. My guitarist buddies assumed that it was Warren Haynes of Gov't Mule. Although this guy was an extremely good guitarist and singer, and did in fact look familiar(when you get to my age everyone looks like someone you have met)I went to the Gov't Mule website for confirmation. They sound alike, both vocals and guitar, but they sure don't look alike! The guy I jammed with had about 10-15yrs on Warren Haynes.

I officially apologize for the mis-representation, but I did have a great time jamming with a really good guitar player. I'm not much for hero worship,so I'm not very disappointed.
    Rather embarrassed, I will research better next time.

John

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I was about to ask if this is how he autographed his name.
    (Now I see it's "Hanes").
    C'mon, dude!

;)

Good story, nevertheless!
    A good jam is a good jam.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    So where is the Alley? I live in Deltona and wouldn't mind coming out to check it out sometime. Especially if Warren Hanes not from Gov't Mule is a regular!

14. "The Alley" is 1/2 block south of 1st Street on Park Avenue, just south of a real alley, hence the name. Bring a bass, sign up and jam Thursday nights, 8:00pm to 12:00 am. Oh, and I would also like to add I only had two beers that night, so I can't use that as an excuse.

John

15. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Don't feel bad I jammed with Miles Davies and Jonh Coldtrane last week!
    :D

16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

At least you got a good time out of it. Havin' a drummer who's "on" helps.

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Damn...that makes two of us!

:D

18. the title of this thread makes it seem like the story might involve an STD or pregnancy or something...