Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good time to try a Conklin Groove tools 7 stringer...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metalloid, Mar 2, 2001.

1. metalloid

metalloid Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    Just got a guitar center ad in the mail, Conklin GT7 is $849. Thats $150 off their normal sale price.

Probly the lowest advertised price you will find on them.

Good luck

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey dude

how's yours working out?

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Man, I saw that price and I was like "MAN! Why do they have to do that when I got no money?!?!?!?"

I want to get one to mess around with, but I can't afford it.:(

Oh well. Maybe when I do have money, I'll find a good deal on a gently used one.

4. metalloid

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    jt:

I love mine to death. I play it non stop. I can get any tone out of it that I want. Bill Conklin was very helpful when I emailed. I am not a 7 stringer for life! (16 years old, been playin music since I was 10, hope to be going strong when I am 50!)

I got the elixir bass strings, I think I am going to put them on and just leave the top two dean markley's on there.

Just an amp question now: does the ampeg 410HLF cab have the balls for playing with the band? I would rather get the two 8 ohm cabs and it be more balanced, but I think guitar center will seriously ask me to stop shopping there...plus I dont think I will get the deal I got on this cab.

I hope to do crank it up w/ them before the 30 days are up, but if I dont, I dont want to be stuck with it if it sucks.

Thanks for all the advice

later

5. metalloid

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    well crap,

mis-typed:

I AM A 7 STRINGER FOR LIFE!

6. Basser_Instinct

Basser_Instinct

Feb 2, 2001
    According to a freind of mine who works there, GC is taking a big hit on the conklins and are trying to get rid of them. I went into there the other day and looked at one and he told me about this and said that even after the sale you could probably talk them down to $850. It's the fatory direct price is what he told me.

7. metalloid

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    Factory price: $759

I shop at guitar center soo much that I know how to read their computers better than they do.

I got mine for $800 before they went on sale. It took hours upon hours of haggling and waiting for them to get it approved by the managers. A week later, I open up the ad and see they are $849 on sale. VERY ANNOYING!

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey b_i

i responded to your other thread. i'd say grab a GT if you can get it for $850, no questions asked. that's a great deal.

remember, that bass has barts and a bartolini designed preamp as well - that's an awesome bargain. shoot, that's a bargain for a 5 string that decked out.

9. metalloid

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    Whats up with them not wanting to sell the natural finished basses at the $849 sale price?

If anything, the wine ones cost more to make due to the color.

Maybe GC likes the look of them on the wall :)

10. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Has anyone actually ever seen a FRETLESS GT7? The same two fretteds have been in my local GC for AGES...

...and are the fretlesses on sale too?

11. embellisher

Eli, I have seen 2 different used fretlesses for sale on harmony central or http://www.bassgear.com, but I have never seen one in person.

12. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey guys just a question have you ever seen hes real basses? Not the crap he sells at musician friend but the stuff they make themselves? Oh man very awsome! I live in the town were they make them and you should go there if ever in springfiled missouri!

13. Lol. They must! Hey, I like looking at the conklins on the walls there too! =)

14. embellisher

Yeah, John Turner, one of our moderators has 8 I believe, with another still in the process of being built.

He only has 6 of them in this particular picture.
    [​IMG]

And the Groove Tools are not crap, for the money, they are a great bargain. Obviously not in the same class as a custom job, but darned nice basses just the same.

If I had the dough, I would get a GT7 while they are $849.00

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hee hee! you're a great publicist jeff :D

16. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Dman turner id mail you one of mu nutts for one of those!hehe Which one is your fav?

17. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Yeah, which of eric's nutts is your fav?

18. lol! I doubt he knows them personally.

19. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :eek: uh, i'm strictly a planter's kind of guy :D

as for favorite bass, i don't really have one. i mean, the doubleneck is awesome, the new bass that i just got offa ebay is killer ...

[​IMG]

the 8 string music-man basses are really cool. it's hard to pick just one.

i think the ones that have the most emotional connection for me are my first 2, the fretless (#3 from the left) and the fretted next to it (#2 from the left) and the doubleneck.

20. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    You know Turner, you're going to have to take another family pic once the 8 and the 7's new neck come in.