Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good tips

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tibi81, Jul 20, 2001.

1. tibi81

tibi81

Jul 20, 2001
    I was wondering how i could become a btter bassist i dont know all the notes and such but i find that to be boring and not to be very fun. What can I do to become a better bassist?

2. downward spiral

downward spiral

Jul 20, 2001
    no ****, I want to know this too....
    just basically how to become good enough to play in this cool band in a month, given that I pretty much suck now....
    I have a feeling that this is impossible, no matter hwo much I prractice this coming month.

3. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Learn scales, how to read standard notation, modes, good technique, and above all pratice! You can't expect to do anything if you just sit around and look at your bass. Find books that will teach you theory and some fingering techniques and notes on the fretboard. Just work hard at it and you should become proficient with time. Here is a good site that can get you started. www.libster.com

4. 1. Play along with CD's to improve your improvisional skills.

2. Learn all the notes on the fretboard. It doesn't take long at all, I learned them in two or three days, and it helps ALOT.

3. Quit tabs and figure out songs by ear. I actually find it to be fun.

4. Get together with a guitarist and a drummer and jam. It's alot of fun.

5. Write songs

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    yes, i´m starting to develop my ear a lot... lately i have started to play songs by ear... it´s exciting.

by the way, have anyone tried the "Ultimate ear training for bass and guitar" by Gary Wills?

i really want to buy that one...

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Learn how the note are laid-out on the fretboard.

1. Think of the first five frets on each string.
    The fifth fret is the same note as the next open string. I guess you'd have to know that in order to tune up.

2. Learn how to find an octave.
    A- The 12th fret on each string is the same note as the open string just an octave higher.
    B -(G is the 3rd fret on the E-string, shift down two strings and right two frets - there's the same note, G, in a higher octave). That's the same thing for every note if you use standard tuning.

That's your left hand map. You can learn your way around from there. Just work on keeping your thumb gernerally behind the note you're playing. Don't do anything too uncomfortable. Also, depress each note with a different finger. In other words, try to keep you "Hand" in the same area, not sliding it up and down to hit the notes all with your middle finger.

As far a the right hand goes, there are many techniques. Try using each finger (like drumming on a desk during social studies class). Try a pick. Try plucking with your thumb.

OK, now go out and find a teacher. By the way, you owe me $45 bucks because I just saved you 3 lessons.

7. tibi81

tibi81

Jul 20, 2001
    OK i have learned some of the notes like up to the 15th fret, but u said something about a teacher. I knew a kid that went to a teacher that plays the guitar and he still isnt very good. And how am i supposed to know like which note the bassist is playing in the song to tab it myself??????????

8. Traveler

Traveler

Jun 26, 2001
    Greenwood, AR.
    Quote: Try using each finger (like drumming on a desk during social studies class).

Hey, I like social studies. Do it during English.

9. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    If you study the fretboard and just understand the general lay out, it will be easier for you to find the notes you hear.

Playing along with the song, you will develop your ear (or, the ability to play the note you hear). Hear the note and stop the CD and find it on the bass. Go back and run it through to see if you picked the right notes. Then do it again and play with the CD. In time, most of what you hear will start to make sense to your hands. You will start to anticipate what will come next because it makes sense musically. Doing scales is generally good training but it also gets you more accustomed to the standard patterns and will make you better able to make sense of a bass line quicker.

Some people just can't discern the bass in the mix. If you have trouble, just look up the Tab on the internet. They are good 85% of the time.

A "GOOD" teacher is useful to start off in that he can correct technical errors you make before they become bad habits. I'm talking about proper placement and use of your arms, hands, and fingers.

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    How to become a better bassist? Hmm, let me think of a couple of things.

• Get a teacher.
    • Practice. A lot. Develop a specific and goal-oriented practice routine. And stick to it.
    • Learn theory. We're talking the fundamentals of how music works. The language of music. Scale theory, harmony, rhythm. Circle of fifths, etc etc.
    • Develop your ear. Learn to identify pitches, intervals, chords, and scales by ear.
    • Learn several different genres. Don't restrict yourself to one type of music.
    • Listen to every instrument, all the time. See how they interact.
    • Learn to site read. Bass clef and treble clef.
    • Read and play music for every instrument, not just bass. In other words, learn melody. Learn trumpet, saxophone, guitar, piano parts, all on bass.
    • Be comfortable with your gear. Does your bass produce the sound you're hearing in your head? Is your equipment adequate for your level?
    • Play with other musicians. Especially if the other musicians are more experienced or talented than you are. They help push you, you have to keep up with them. Also, musicians of different styles too.
    • Learn the proper method for destroying your bass. Remember to grab the bass at the headstock, swing it above the head, and with full authority, swing it to the ground like you would a sledgehammer. As it smashes, look apathetic, disenchanted. This is a statement you have just made.
    • Play the bass constantly. Develop drills that will increase your dexterity and muscle memory.
    • Play with a metronome. Dissect every part of your playing. Pacman spoke recently about getting every 8th note to be the exact same length and volume. Learn control for even the most simple things. Can you play whole notes in perfect rhythm and without drastic dynamic changes? It sounds silly, but it's fundamental to playing bass.

That's off the top of my head.

11. JWBass

JWBass

Jul 20, 2001
    Levittown, PA
    1.) Listen to as much music as you can stand, and play along with it.

2.) Go and see as many players as you can to see how they react to changes in the music.

3.) Practice, practice, practice.

4.) When you're done, practice some more.

5.) Don't be afraids to try new things, even on stage. People should learn from their mistakes, not fear them.

12. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    hey Jazzbo, nice list! :)

i think you should copy and paste it somewhere in a text document... and the next time another newbie ask about the same topic... just paste it

:D