1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good tone from effects pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dylanrlarsen, Jul 26, 2012.

1. dylanrlarsen

dylanrlarsen

Mar 13, 2012
    Hey. I have a MIM '98 Fender J-Bass that I run through an Acoustic B200H and Acoustic B115. Today I got a big muff pi for bass, and realized it sounds like GOLD when the horn is on and like poop when its off. But when the pedal's on bypass it sounds like poop when the horn is on, and GOLD when the horn is off. D:

Is there any way to fix this?

Other than turn the horn on/off every time I want to switch from Big Muff to Not Big Muff?
    thanksinadvance!

2. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Wow. That's the total opposite of what most other people say.

I dunno, though. Maybe an EQ pedal to either make your clean sound better with the horn on or the pi sound better with the horn off? :confused:

When I built my fEARful, I put the tweeter control on the side so that I can change it just as quick as turning a pedal knob.

3. I would've guessed the complete opposite for any sort of OD/dist/fuzz. Horns recreate frequencies that imo sound absolutely terrible with those types of effects...frequencies that those types of effects were never meant to inhabit. Just like the way those pedals sound like arse when going direct - because it's a full range signal with all those frequencies they were never meant to inhabit. I cringe every time someone reviews distortion pedals by going direct (unless of course those pedals were designed for such a la b7k).

4. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Uhhhh do they call it a big muff because it sounds Muffled?

Maybe you just found distortion and like it, but the muff is just too muddy for you. Distortion pedals with a 3 band EQ are more friendly than single knob tone controls.
    or just run a multi band EQ after the muff to boost tones, and then stomp on them at same time for on and off

5. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    True bypass loop?

6. Tweeters normally work at 5k hz and up. You could get an EQ pedal and cut everything above that, or get a filter to literally just cut off everything above 5k. The latter solution would be more precise.

7. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Or get an sfx screaminator (this is an order on request) and a line selector like a Boss LS-2. Put the Big Muff in one loop and the screaminator in the other, and switch between them.