Good Tone on a Cheap Budget

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Why_rock, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Why_rock

Apr 9, 2003
    East Texas
    I have always been in a garge band and now that it is starting to go places and more opprotunities arise i need better equipment but have little money so i look into hartke for good sound. Good choice or not whats your feedback?
  2. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Yeah Hartke is a good start. How much money are you looking to spend exactly? I heard a GK backstage head the other week, and I was kind of suprise at how good it sounded with the contour cranked a little.
  3. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    I would go with Hartke. Sounds good. Loud too.

Go with an HA3500 and an Avatar cab.
  4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    hartke is good.....Peavey is better.......
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    What's your budget? For $400 here's the setup to get:

GK 400RB for about $200-250 USED

Any 1-15" cabinet with an EV or JBL speaker
    $100-200 USED

This is a serious pro rig that has been road tested for 20+ years by thousands of won't be disappointed.
  6. Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    I would go with Hartke or Gallien Krueger for the head and Avatar or Hartke for the cab. If you go with a GK head stay away from the backline series. Your best bet would be to go used except if you go with the Avatar cab. I have a GK400RB and an Avatar B410 I got for under $600 total and it sounds awesome even without my Mesa cab~Josh
  7. I use Hartke (4.5 XL) but I've never been impressed with their lower line cabs. I think Avatar is a better choice for the money. As for a head, I look into something used. I've had good luck with Peavey and bad luck with Crate.
  8. Just curious. Did you have a bad experience with a Backline head? If so, I'd love to hear about it.

The GK 400RB/210 combo is going for $749 on MF. The Backline 250 with the backline 410 is going for $599. Both great options. I haven't seen hardly any backline amps coming in for repair. The only drawback to it is it can only handle an 8 ohm load so you would only be able to drive one speaker cabinet. For most people, the 410 cabinet is plenty. Alternately, you could go with the Backline 115.

The Backline 350 is coming out soon and will be able to handle a 4 ohm load. MF will be selling the 350 with 210 and 115 cabs as a package deal at a really reasonable price.
  9. Sans Amp Bass Driver DI used - improves sound of average equipment and bass massively!! Tone in buckets (if you like fat tubey tone)

10. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    carvin R1000 head used for 300-450. probably cheaper if you get an older series I or II.

i cant comment on cabs since im still looking for one that suits my needs.

stay away from carvin cabs. yea, i learned the hard way.
  11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    It really depends on your budget and exactly what you are looking for. Personally, I didn't really care for the sound of the Hartke gear that I have listened checked out, but it's a very personal decision. Peavey is really not that bad, and probably a good value for the money. I find the Fender amps to be a bit hit or miss, but the ones that hit are pretty nice.

If you can get a decent deal on a head, the suggestion for an Avatar cab is a great idea. The guys up at Low Down Sound will also build you about anything you want for a very reasonable price.

What do you have now, and what are you hoping to gain (i.e., more volume, better tone, etc.) by upgrading?

12. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Daniel can you tell us when the Backline 350 be out and the specs? Thanks.
  13. Hartke 3500 or 2000 head would be a great choice. Go used. I got my 3500 used for 50 dollars less than a new 2000 would go, so I settled well, more volume and bells and whistles such as a direct out, Lighted sliders for the EQ, etc... Seriously, a used 3500 can be a better deal than a new 2000. The 3500 is loud with a proper cab. Definetly a giggable amp!

Again, you can find some good cabs out there, I'd look at before checking out Harkte vx115 or vx410 cabs, those things will die on you so fast. Look into avatar, they dont get fried everytime you send more than 100 watts into them. However I liked the vx115s tone, but i was weak volume wise as a standalone unit.
  14. Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    another vote for the hartke 3500.

i got mine for 300 shipped(used that is). i've got nothing but good things to say about it. everyone i play with compliments it. wide variety of tones available, but it definitely caters to the more hi-fi punchy sound, IMO.

i've got it paired with an avatar 2x10 and it smokes.

gonna get a 1x15 as soon as i get some funds so i can pump 350 watts and not 240 =/

15. 175w @ 4 ohms, 115 @ 8 ohms. Convection cooled, clean and overdrive channels, variable control contour, 4 band eq, DI with pre/post switch and ground lift, tuner out, fx loop, 13 lbs.
  16. What he said. I'd go with a B210/B115 or B210/B212 Avatar cab configuration, though. B210/B115 combination is 20 pounds lighter, if that matters.

Older 400RB + Avatar B210/B115 = good.
  17. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    You really can't go wrong with any Gallien Krueger head Ronzo. They all sound great and I find nothing wrong with the Backline series.
  18. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I'm not really big on Hartke. IMO, they don't sound that great. I tried a few out at Sam Ash. The heads are pretty good. For the price they are at least, but the cabs with the aluminum speakers Arn't great. I play rock and some jazz and I thought they lacked low end. I would spend a little extra and get something better.
  19. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    i got a very good deal on all my stuff
    i got a hartke 410 XL for 200 bucks
    and an Ampeg svt-3pro for 350. extreme power, massive low end. cuts through like whoa. check it out. oh, and with the backline 350, why is it called the backline 350 if it only dishes out 175w?