1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good tone on a shoestring budget

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lowner, May 2, 2006.

1. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    Ok I am taking the plunge and buying a six string bass. Its a galveston but I like its tone and feel. So it got me thinking can we really get good tone from off brands like galveston and some of the other asian made instruments.? It seems as if in the last few years the quality of such instruments has really gone up and they are a real bargain for the money. No longer are they cheap ply wood. Some are really nice instruments. This six stringer is solid swamp ash and has a quilted maple top. Its beautiful.Granted they will probably never be on the same level as Sadowskys or any othe high end bass. Does anyone have what would be considered budget gear and like it and get good tone? I am a fim believer that you dont have to have the most expensive gear there is to get good tone.

2. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    If you can, try having a look at the CORT Artisan A6.

It might not be in your budget of course.

The A series is a beautiful bass with a great tone and versitility.

3. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
  4. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Ibanez SR406 won't do you wrong. I love mine. I think i paid 499 for it. It's the best bang for buck 6er out there. I have since added a Agular olp 3 preamp $130 and a hipshot bridge $100or so. so for my small investment i now have a bass that will stand against just about any bass out there. Personaly i would stay away from galvistons. They are very cheaply made and it shows IMHO

5. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    I tried out the same type of Galveston 6 at Sam Ash the other day. Sorry, but I just didn't like it. I think the better buy would've been the Tune TWB 6. A bit more money than the Galevston, but I liked it a lot better.

Speaking of Tune's, any one try out one of those WB-4FM hollowbody fretless' on the samash site?

6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Get yourself a Sadowsky Preamp/DI. Makes any bass sound awesome. www.sadowsky.com

Rob