1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good tone shaping pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tupac, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    I don't have $1500 to shell out for a quality tube amp and other equipment. But in this day and age, there's less need to! You can get some monster sounds of tiny pedals. What are some pedals I can use to beef and color up my sound? It's also be nice to have these for home recording. Sansamp BDDI is one, I'll go ahead and get that out of the way.

2. Drop-D

Drop-D

Mar 23, 2009
    Kansas City
    I tried a handful things to "beef" up my tone. I purchased a Fuzzrocious Broke D*ck Peanut Gallery and never looked back. It can add a little bottom end or make it dub-like. Plus, it also adds some dirt.

I primarily use mine at the end of my chain to fatten up my tone after all my dirt and fuzz pedals.

There are some clips over at the Fuzzrocious website. (http://www.fuzzrociouspedals.com/bdpg.html)

3. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Feb 23, 2013
    Nw georgia
    Vt bass all the sound of an svt without the weight or price

4. Aguilar Tone Hammer pedal. Outstanding tone.

5. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    Obviously the vt bass or one of it's derivatives. I don't know if he's still around, but Dave Hall (DHA) makes some killer tube preamp pedals.

6. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Insert cool nickname? Nobody's given me one yet. Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN

Dave's still in the game. IMO, DHA has the very best dirt.

7. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Rusty Box is my favorite tone beeferupper.

8. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    I have the VT-1 EQ, and I don't even use it for dirt sounds. I use it as a clean (but very warm) DI, and the tone is tubey and chewy and glorious. It definitely rolls off some of the deep lows and high highs, but that makes it sound killer into a PA.