Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Tone

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MikeSession9, Jul 6, 2002.

1. What would be the best strings to get that Mike Dirnt/ Greenday tone?

2. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Mike Dirnt uses D'Addario Slowound SW3000 bass strings in the gauges of .045/.065/.085/.105. Now that you know this, don't think that using these strings will make you sound like him.....

3. No, thats not what i meant. I just wanted to know how to get the sound he has, not the skill :)

4. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    I know, I was only kidding. Make sure you use a pick (he uses a dunlop .073 tortex yellow) and use plenty of treble.

5. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    I think i can get the sound..
    I play a yamaha rbx series bass.. stock everything..
    well exepct strings i use Fender super bass 45. -105 i think.. not sure =X not too picky about strings.. if they feel good and sound good i buy em..
    ehhh
    I boost my lows all the way to 10.. my highs all the way to ten.. and then the Frequency is like boosted mids.. so alot of mids and highs (semilar to the borris the spider tone) but it booms because of the lows... and i play with a pick once in a while.. lol
    i wish my dads leslie had an paremetric EQ on it :mad:
    -----------
    just remember the tone comes from your hands

6. Do you know where he plays...like closer to the bridge to get the sound. It seems like when I play there it sounds more like it...

7. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Yeah, to play as aggressively as Mike Dirnt you need to pick back by the bridge. A medium/high action setup is probably a good think too.

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

Not to burst your bubble or sound arrogent, I wanted to go a bit more indepth on this part of what rsautrey said.

You will not sound like Mike Dirnt. He could give you his all his gear and strung and set up the same way he uses it, and you wont sound like him. The tone starts in the hands, and since you're not him you wont sound like him.

Im not even gonna comment on the skill part. ;)

9. I totally agree dude, I just wanted to know what kind of strings he used so I can WORK towards gettin his sound. I know I will never play the exact way he does, but it dont hurt to try ;)

Thanks for the input tho bro.

10. you really shouldn't do this. instead of boosting lows and highs all the way to 10, leave them flat and just cut the mids. take it easy on your preamp.

on topic, the crucial part of dirnt's tone is a P-style pickup and a pick. brand and guage of strings are negligible as long as they are roundwounds.

11. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Originally posted by cassanova

You will not sound like Mike Dirnt. He could give you his all his gear and strung and set up the same way he uses it, and you wont sound like him. The tone starts in the hands, and since you're not him you wont sound like him.

I can sound like Mike Dirnt.

:D

Seriously, tone is a combination of both technique (in the handshead) AND the timbre of the instrument/gear. If you study the guy's technique (i.e. pick near bridge) a bit, and carefully dial your eq, you can get close to almost anybody's tone. If you practice at it, you can get better. There are guys in tribute bands who make a living sounding like pro players.

I think I read in a GC flier interview that Dirnt splits his signal, but doesn't bi-amp. One amp is just eqed more for highs and the other for lows. I think the highs were vintage fenders and I forget what covered the lows. I could be confused.