good Trace Elliot stories!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass-only, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    I have been playing bass for 28 years and have owned a multitude of high end amps. I had been currently using a WT800 and WT400 through a Bergie 310 cab. About year ago, I sold a Trace RAH600SMX head (to get the WT800) that I really missed as soon as it left my posession.

While there's no doubt that the Eden heads sound great - I have to say that the RAH600SMX sounds even better to me. I used it this last Saturday for the first time and my sound was tight and very "tube-like". I love the dual compressor!

I've seen a few threads here lately where the Trace stuff was getting some negative comments in the reliability and sound catagories. My last RAH600SMX I used for 6 years with absolutely no problems. I also had a Trace 1210SMX combo that was awesome.

What's the current feeling on the newer (higher end) Trace stuff? Any other satisfied customers out there!?
  2. gidget

Apr 28, 2002
    ive got a gp7 sm 300, dunno if u'd call that high end trace gear, i bought it as a combo with a trace quad+horn, i think my voice coil is shot but i cant find out cuz it seems that trace put their enclosures together in the worst possible way, :mad: the things impossible to take apart, i'd be better off buying a new rig than having the trace repaired :confused:
  3. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I bought the 1210SMX amp that "bass only" used to have from him. It is a GREAT combo. I recently added a Trace 1153 single 15 cabinet and the combination of the amp with 4-10s and the 15 cab just make an incredible, deep, punchy sound. I could not be happier with my Trace stuff....
  4. Having had my second Trace rig for 6 months I could only say ecstatic!!!!

I had an AH250 and a 4 x 10 for about 9 years and loved the stuff. Last year I managed to trade this in last year for the new AH500 head and a 4 x 10 with HF Horn and 1 x 15 cabinet.

The only disappointment was that the front panel is now backlit - there is no UV (blacklight) on it. Other than that it seems to be as sturdy as ever and sounds fanatastic!

However, I'm now lead to believe that the UK operation has no completely closed down. Gibson - who now owns TE is moving the manufacturing to the states, so watch this space!
  5. I like my 250 watt GP12 just fine, better than the GK 800RB, and SWR SM400S that I owned before. I like Trace so much, I'm just about to trade mine for a Trace V-type 230 watt all-tube head.
  6. miktit

miktit Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    I have an aH250 SMX with a 1048 cab. I bought the amp in 1993, and apart from cleaning the pots I NEVER needed to have it serviced.
    I now use a Mesa Boogie 400+ with an SWR Goliath Sr. cab, but I still usemy TE rig for gospel gigs. I miss a HF horn in the cab though, and I'm planning to install one in the near future.

Personally I prefer the sound of my Mesa, but the AH250 is more versatile and deliveres a nice punch. So Thumbs up from me as well.

Mikkel Tiedt - Denmark
  7. BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    I just upgraded from a AH300SMX to the Trace Elliot V4 and it's miles above the 600watt streio I just tried befor I bought the V4 today
  8. BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    If you think the RAH600SMX sounds good try any of the V Series amp's. I just bought one today and it is awesome. Miles above the sond produced by the higher watt SMX series. The tone is TE all the way too. I was wondering if it was gonna sound like a TE or not and.... well... I bought it today :D
  9. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    As I have said before, I love my GP12SMX preamp. I would love to have another. Found a couple on ebay, but the prices went too high. I don't like their heads though. The power amp sections suck arse. Shame, really. Their great pre's teamed up with those terrible power sections.:(