1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good trade? EBMM Sterling for my EB MM Stingray 5 fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rolorocknerd, Mar 12, 2018.

1. rolorocknerd

rolorocknerd Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Does this sound like a fair trade. Friend of mine is offering me his EBMM Sterling 4 for my EBMM Stingray 5 that doesn’t get played. I do have like 2 other four string but seems like a good deal?
  2. rolorocknerd

rolorocknerd Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
  3. spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    Resale wise, probably not. Used Sterlings (of which I have and love, two) sell for criminally low prices compared to similar Stingrays. But, if you dig the Sterling and will play it happily, that doesn't matter. He should at least toss in a case of good beer and maybe a bottle of bourbon!
    Dasgre0g and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Unless you have someone interested in that particular fretless, it’s a fair trade. The Stingray is worth slightly more, but it can be difficult to sell a fretless. I had a Warwick Streamer Jazzman 5 fretless in mint condition that I had to let go of for $900, cuz nobody was interested. The bass retailed for over $3000 (though that’s not what I paid).
    Dr. Cheese likes this.
  5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Tough call, value-wise the 5er is probably worth a little more but a fretless 5er is not an easy sell. If you like the Sterling, I'd take the trade.
    Joe Nerve likes this.
  6. MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    agreed with the others here. Not bad at all but maybe have them toss you a case of beer and a burrito bowl or something to smooth out the deal
    Joe Nerve likes this.
  7. sgl

Sep 18, 2011
    I think it’s easier to sell a fretted bass than a fretless. I’d go for it.
    Joe Nerve likes this.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Fretless basses can be very hard to move. I am pretty sure I got my Pedulla at such a great price because it is fretless, and the pawnshop owner knew it would be hard to move.
    Joe Nerve likes this.