1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good Treble Booster?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kromwarp, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    I'm looking for the Cliff Burton/ Chris Squire tone. I can't afford a Rickenbacker, but I'd like to get a treble booster. I know of the Electro- Harmonix Screaming Tree, but those are hard to find. Any other good treble boosters out there?:help:

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    You could just dial back bass and mids rather than boosting treble...

You could look at the Steel Leather pedal or there's always the rare Valnüt pedal that's seems fantastic at stripping out all remnants of a decent tone.

3. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    I did look at the Steel Leather. I think I might just go that route.

Thanks for the advice

4. EHX

EHX

Oct 4, 2008
    Electro-Harmonix
    fwiw, the Screaming Bird is "coming soon" -- I can't say more than that, but keep an eye on EHX.com

5. failing that most eq pedals should be fine

i find the best place to boost treble is at the bass itself as thats the least noisy and provides a really hot signal that you can tweak later

cutting frequencies isn't a fantastic idea at the amp as i personally don't find it specific enough, boostings cool but with cutting it's better to be selective with an eq rackmount or pedal at least 7 bands.

6. MI Audio Boost'n'Buff. Serves as a clean boost, treble boost, and high-impedance buffer when bypassed.

7. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Excellent!

8. maybe

maybe

Oct 19, 2008
    Has anyone used a Screaming Bird on bass? Is it worth it?

9. I've not tried it. It boosts treble. If you want to boost treble then the Screaming Bird will do the job. If you'll use it, it's worth it...

10. Beat me to it.:cool:
    ....about the best beast out there for this.

11. these pedals work by cutting all the low end out of your signal, i've tried it on guitar and it wasn't very nice so i'm assuming its gonna be terrible on bass!

you don't needa rickenbacker to get that sound, get a bass with some single coils and wack some new strings on it

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
  13. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    As far as I know, Cliff Burton and Chris Squire didn't use treble boosters. A treble booster is a kind of circuit that originated in the 60's that applied a rather large boost, specifically in treble, to push a tube amp. First off if you're not playing a tube amp, they're pretty useless. Second off, most treble boosters will cut out your bottom end severely. But if it's still a treble booster you want, Analogman makes a Bass Beano Boost, a bass treble booster, I own one and it is a fantastic pedal. Glorious treble boost WHILE keeping the low end, which other treble boosters won't do for you. I've owned other treble boosters and for bass, if it's a treble booster you want, the Analogman Bass Beano Boost is the only way to go.

14. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Cliff Burton's normal tone was anything BUT trebly. His solo tone, however, was very bright, and that's solely because of the Morley Power Wah that he used.

Also, a treble booster isn't going to help you get close to the tones you're aiming for. Spend some time with your amp's EQ and try brighter strings. Try roundwounds if you're not using them now, and if you are... try stainless steel roundwounds.

15. serein2j

serein2j

May 25, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Screaming bird/Mole/Steal Leather?

16. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I wouldn't call them useless (as they can be useful for driving other pedals, especially overdrive pedals and filters), but it's certainly a job which is best performed by other kinds of pedals.

I do think that a treble booster is the wrong way to go about getting a Squire-esque tone, and even more inappropriate for trying to cop a Burton-esque tone.

On an off-topic note: it always amazes me how many people fail to read the OP, and usually respond to the thread title. It's rare that a thread starter can accurately capture their real question within the context of a simple thread title. Only a few of us actually seem to read the original posts nowadays... :D

17. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    So far as I know I'm the only person here to really use a Treble Booster, let alone the only one to use it to push dirt pedals, and even with dirt pedals a Treble Booster is pretty useless unless the dirt pedal specifically responds exactly like a tube amp. Even Tubescreamers, for example, you put a treble booster in front of one and it does almost nothing. Of all of the numerous dirt pedals I've owned and tried, there have only been two that responded to a treble booster, so it's not really worth mentioning. Other than that, even into a hybrid amp, a Treble Booster can't do it's job and generally just sounds bad.

18. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
  19. OlliePanda

OlliePanda

Apr 4, 2013

Hi what settings do you use on your boost and buff?

20. Don't get a treble booster, get something that will take you right to a bright, mean tone. (I'm saying this as a Ric owner, btw)

Or

DarkglassB3K.

Or, if you afford it:

[​IMG]