1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good tube amp for a Schroeder?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nad, Mar 21, 2006.

1. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    I love my Schroeder 1212. I also love my ThunderFunk blasting through it. But I'd love to have an all-tube amp once again, just for fun.

Any good matches I should look into? New or used, doesn't matter. I'm taking a serious look at that Traynor YBA200 right now, anyone used one with Schroeder cabs?

Cheers,
    Adrian

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I love my Mesa 400+ with my Schroeder 1212. Its pretty much all I play through anymore.

3. Whats the price range, and what kind of tone do you want? The Traynor get overdriven quite easily, but the overdrive sounds very good :)

4. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Well it's not a total tube amp but my Mesa Walkabout sounds very nice through my Schroeder 1210. Should sound close to the same through a 1212. The Walkabout is a great compromise between a heavy (& fragile) full tube amp and a solidstate head (or hybrid amp with a single tube for the pre section). It sounds absolutely huge and only weighs 13 lbs!:)

5. nad

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    My price/tone range is open for whatever. Well, no Sadowsky or Phil Jones, I'm sure those are nice but I'm not willing to spend that sorta scratch. :p

Currently have an Ebay bid on a Sunn Sorado, if that doesn't pan out I'll likely just scoop up a Traynor.

Mostly looking for experience with well matching tube heads here, and not a hybrid. While I'm sure your Mesa is nice, I have all my solid state power amp needs well covered. :D

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I played my Sunn Sceptre through my 1210 briefly (sold it not long after getting the 1210). Sounded amazing but not nearly loud enough (clean) for me. My Classic 400 works VERY nicely... I'm set :bassist:

I want to try an Orange through it too though.

7. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I use one of the Traynors with a 21012. Also happen to have a Classic 400 as well, having scooped one up in the MF blowout a few months back.

Of course, the Peavey, with all it's power, is my "big gun" when needed.... but I find myself using the Traynor more. It's MUCH easier to transport (44# vs. 97#), and it has a great tone. Overdrive/headroom issues can be massaged by experimenting with preamp tubes, and the Traynor has a very handy auto-biasing circuit that simplifies power tube swaps (I had a tube burn out on a gig; the head was able to "limp along" on the other three 6550WE's to finish the show, and it was a simple remove-and-replace once I got it back to the house).

I'm glad to have both, but unless I need great gobs of volume (outdoor gig, usually), it's the Traynor that gets the call - especially with the efficient Schroeder, which helps in the headroom dept. They work very well together.

8. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Are you looking for clean or overdriven tone?

9. I use a Trace Elliot V6 through my Schroeders (1210 and/or 1212)

Absolutely love the tone I get.

10. my mesa boogie 400+ sounds better through my shroeder 410 than through any other cab i've owned...

11. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    You didn't mention what specific setup (pre/power or combo?) you're looking at; I have an Ampeg SVPCL that I am really happy with. It's pretty flexible tonewise although I stay pretty close to the 60s/70's classic rock setup. I run mine into a 21012 and (just arrived today) a 410L and it is all I'll likely ever use. I've gigged w/ it weekly for the last year and never had any problem whatsoever with it.

Note: my only dings on the amp: no dedicated overdrive (ok since I have a couple stomp boxes that I've hung onto for years that I really like) and no effects loop.

12. I think a few members have had great experiences with the Fender Bassman 300 Pro and Schroeder cabs.

13. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    +1

I use an all tube Trace Elliot V4 through a 1210 and I love the combo. I eq to taste and I'm lovin' the tone I get.

14. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ

Yep. Love my 300 Pro and 310212

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Tube amps are NOT fragile! [​IMG]

K, i'm done with this thread. [​IMG]

16. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Trace V8 through 410.
    Sex.

4Jorg2.

17. nad

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    This could be a sign that I should get a Trace, my main bass is a Sterling identical to yours. Except no painted headstock. :D

Cheers for all the replies so far!