Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good tube amp techs in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tombowlus, Jul 22, 2005.

1. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Does anyone know of a good tube amp tech in Ohio? I'm between Cleveland and Toledo, but I'd consider anyone within a two hour drive (as far south as Columbus). I would like to have some bias trim pots installed on my Bass 400, and I'd also like someone I can trust to do good (and reasonably fast) work on any of my tube amps.

Thanks, Tom.

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    How far from Michigan are you ? There is a top notch Fender guy uo there. Tim Swartz maybe ? A post in the AMp section of the TDPRI.com might be a good bet. Those guys are hugely into old Fender for the most part but they seem to sort of do it all. What you're wanting to do isn't all that hard is my guess. One of the big things in the land of old Fender's is either modding them or reversing mods previously done. I suspect you'd find a resource that you could get comfortable with pretty quickly over there.

' luck to you

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Able Audio is who everyone seems to use here in Columbus, though I've only personally used them for SS work.

4. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    They are at the top of my list right now. I have used them in the past for SS work, too, and man, those guys are a pleasure to deal with! I just didn't know how much tube work they have done.

Tom.

5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I'm less than an hour from the southern border. Where is the tech you are referring to?

Tom.

6. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    My cousin, Dr. Z is about as good an amp tech as there is. Just west of Cleveland. Has sold his handmade botique amps to some famous people.

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Wow! You are Dr. Z's cousin! I have heard some of his amps, and they almost convinced me to start playing the skinny strings! :p

Do you have any contact information that you could share? Feel free to PM me. I am highly confident that he could do a tremendous job.

Thanks!

Tom.

8. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Don't have his contact info handy- what is listed on his website should work. He is pretty accessible.

I am like his 3rd cousin, I only see him once every couple years but he is a cool guy and makes top notch stuff.

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    SWEET! I'm GASing for one of his Delta88 heads. Maybe you can talk him into a bass voiced pre in that model :cool:

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I'm on it, man! :p

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    w00t! :bassist:

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Hey Tom..you've probably heard the same guy that I heard playing a Dr. Z. Tasty stuff for sure!

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That's right, you know that "cheesy" guy, too! Man, Rick is a great player (and singer!). Good guy, too, as is his bass-player brother!

Tom.

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Absolutely. I haven't talked to Mike in a while, I gotta give him a call and give him the Mesa/Bergantino news. Rick actually showed up at one of our gigs a while back and sat in for a while. Definitely a talent.