Good Tuner?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by steamboat, Nov 26, 2000.

1. I don't know if this is the right forum for a tuner question... but oh well.

I'm looking for a tuner. One of my main uses for it will be to improve my intonation on my fretless Stingray 5.. so it needs to be fast, accurate, and able to handle the low B string.

I'll of course also want it to be solid and reliable, easy to read (on a dark stage), and relatively cheap (under US $100 preferably).

I'd also be using this to set the intonation on my fretless 5 and fretted 4 (I realize that there are purists out there who cringe at the idea of using anything other than an ultra high end unit to set intonation.. but I don't believe that kind of precision is needed if the differences can't be heard by the human ear, and I don't have that kind of money), and as a stage tuner.

As a stage tuner, I would probably split my signal to it with a Y cable. I don't think I really need a mute function (which I'd only be able to use if the tuner was in my signal path to the amp).

Any thoughts that anyone has on tuners are welcome.. every little bit helps.
  2. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    This one can help ya out with some of those but not others the tuner is a Korg CA-20. can handle 6 string basses & is chromatic. $20-30 cheap,easy, & for me serves it purpose quite nicely.
  3. Steamboat,

The Korg DT-3 is a very accurate hand held tuner. I think they're about $70. I have one, and it's been very reliable, and picks up the low b on all my 5 strings. It's also fast and I've been using it to adjust intonation on all my basses. They have good rackmount tuners too. I sound like a Korg salesman, don't I?

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

I strongly encourage you to look into the Intellitouch tuner. I use it on my Pentabuzz, on my upright and on my classical guitar an it works great. Another advantage is that you don't have to plucg a cord into it; it works by contact with your instrument. Just clip it to your headstock. That way if you're in the middle of a gig, you can just turn down your volume and tune away. Also, it's backlit, so you can read it in the dark. It costs about $50, but you can find them going for less.

Will C.:cool:
  5. Hmm.. I've seen those Intellitouch tuners.. seems like a neat idea. How are they speedwise compared to other tuners?
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Boss makes a stomp-box tuner that seems to work just bitchen.
  7. I've had the best luck with Korg Tuners. I have a DT1 on my pedalboard. I also use a Korg BT2 bass tuner that works great for electric, acoustic and it works great on my B string. I do use these tuners to set harmonics and have very good results.
  8. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The creme de la creme of tuners IMO is the Peterson strobe. It's all analog/mechanical, and thus produces perfectly accurate readings and an immediate response (no waiting around for a needle to move). Some of the band nerds here may know what I'm talking about; a lot of high schools have them. There's only two problems: it's big and >$400!
  9. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

The Yamaha YT-2200 chromatic tuner has been good to me. It has manual and auto modes, works with a 5-string and can be plugged between your bass and your amp so you can check your tuning at any moment. It costs approx. US$55 here. :)
  10. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Thanx for the info Will. Definately worth checking out. I just returned my Korg DTR-2 because it $^%(# up my sound. I needed it for the mute function. Not anymore....
    Thanx again!!!
  11. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I'll second the recommendation for the Intellitouch for gigs. Fast, accurate, small, long battery life and requires no extra cord routing or re-plugging.
  12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Quite fast, actually. I find it works best when I play he harmonic on the 12th fret.

Will C.:cool:
  13. phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    What do you guys think of the new Korg GT12 chromatic tuner? It's about the same size as the BOSS TU12 (which some people say is the industry standard?). I just acquired the Korg, and so far I'm quite happy with it. It tunes bass, guitar, ukelele, open strings, has a built-in mic and calibration. It even gives out the note sound for reference if you want it.
  14. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    `Ya got `dat right, Munjibunga! :D

I got mine for "ergonomic" reasons. I'd always used them
    lightweight plastic thingies about the size of two packs o'
    smokes. Trouble was, unless I super-glued `em to somethin'
    they were always fallin' down.

The TU-2 is typical Boss (built like a tank). Even with big
    ol' Monster cables comin' and goin', it stays put. Bein' a
    stomp-box, it's good for hands-free intonation tweakin'.
    It's got a seven-segment display that spells out the note.
    An "arc" of LED's shows sharp and flat. Finally, a couple
    of pointy yellow LED's that tell you when you're "on" the note.

There are TWO outputs. One's straight through to your amp,
    the other's a cut-off so when you stomp it, the signal to your
    amp is muted while you tune.

I was an electronics weenie in another life and one thing
    I remember: A 7 segment display can take a lot more punishment
    than a meter/needle thing.

I just checked: the TU-2 is only $10 more than the Korg GT-12
    model at M/F.

Of course if you have a rack, forget everything I just said
    and get one o' them fancy Korgs :D .

[Edited by notduane on 12-08-2000 at 09:54 PM]
  15. I've had a boss TU-12H for 7 years now... wow...