Good tuners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TyKao, Jul 30, 2003.

1. TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    Hey everyone.

I'm thinking of getting a used or new Geddy Lee jazz bass. From what I've read, it seems almost unanimous that the tuners need replacing. Can anybody here recommend a good set of decently priced tuners? Are there certain brands to stay away from? I'm trying to keep my costs down because I might want to replace the pickups as well and my bass money's a little tight.
  2. From what I've heard, Hipshot Ultralight tuners are really good, although I think they're kind of expensive.
  3. I would be really surprised if there was a problem with the tuners. IMO most tuning problems originate from a poorly cut nut which binds the strings rather than the tuners. I have a P-clone with the same tuners that come on MIM Fenders and the tuning stability is great. I can do a gig with it, practice all week with it, take it to the next gig and seldom have to do much more than a minor tweak to get it back to perfectly in tune. For a while I used a cheap (and I do mean cheap) Indonesian Squier P-Bass Special as the back up to my back up and never had problems with its tuning stability, either. While changing tuners seems to be the obvious solution to tuning problems, it seldom makes much of a difference. If you're having tuning problems, I'd look at the nut first.