Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Tuning Machines

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by swingfingers, Apr 4, 2003.

1. I need to replace the tuning machines on my Tyrolean and am looking for a quality set that are not too heavy. I have heard great things about the Irving Sloane machines but have heard that they are very heavy (…and very pricey). There are many options and I am familiar with Lemur, Upton, etc. but would like to get some recommendations for a high quality set that is on the light side weight wise. Would like to find something for less than $200 but I might be flexible for the right machines! Any suggestions??

2. You might want to get in contact with luthier Jeff Bollbach, who offers machines of his own design.

I don't know if he sells them independant of his basses or not, neither do I know the price. But they have to be good.

3. Your $200.00 budget pretty much eliminates the better quality machines like Sloan, KC Strings, etc. Lemur has several tyrolean (full plate) machines that will work satisfactory for you in your approx. price range. They aren't the best, but there are many thousands of basses using them or something very similar.

4. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Most Tyroleans have wooden shafts of large diameter. Keep in mind you may need to re-bush the holes if you change to smaller diameter tuner shafts. An alternative is the Rubner individual plate machines with ebony shafts. Could be almost a "bolt-in" swap, and not rediculously pricey. I like the K.C. tuners which Bob suggested...

5. Thanks for the replies. The KC tuners look like they may be a little heavier and fancier than what I’m after. I like the description of Jeff Bollbach’s tuners on his website: “They are minimalistic in profile - I know that those who love that heavy brass look will hate them - but aren't basses heavy enough?” Sounds up my alley - thanks for the tip, Ed.

It sounds like, especially from what Arnold Schnitzer is saying, that installation may be a bigger factor than I thought. I wont’ be able to visit anyone with my bass for at least a few weeks but I will probably start with calls to Jeff and Arnold.

Thanks again everyone!

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Has anyone out there tried those L.A. Bass Works pegs that are advertised in every issue of Double Bassist mag?