Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Twist on an Old Classic, or Sacrelige?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassGod, Mar 10, 2006.

1. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I can't tell if I like this video or not. In some ways, it seems like a different, fresh perspective on a very old piece of music. But in some ways, it also seems overdone. I'm usually not into this sort of thing, but here you go:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QjA5faZF1A8

What do you guys think?

Graeme

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Eh? Looks like JerryC has a different guitar (and a hat on) than last time I saw the video...I like it.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Sacrilege? Nothing is sacred in music! Bend, twist, reuse, remake all you want - if someone liked it and you didn't hurt anyone's feelings or break any laws, you did the right thing. This guy did something different and did it quite well. Not that metal arrangements of classical tunes is something new, but I've never heard this one done before. Don't know if I think "this guy iz great!!!", but I did enjoy it.

4. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    holy crap that was cool. guitarist looked like he was about 13-ish.

5. i wouldn't say its a sacrelige, but a guy playing metal guitar over classical music seems like the kenny G of metal...

6. very cool!

7. I don't much like this particular video, but I've got a soft spot for rock interpretations of classical music. I've got some mp3s that I found on the old mp3.com by some guys calling themselves the J.S. Bach experience. Pretty awesome. They did his Toccata and Fugue in D minor and one of his trio sonatas.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I've noticed young kids are getting really flashy on guitar, it's strange, a new breed of Yngwies are coming up before they are even old enough to drive. There is a band around here called Bluefire (they've toured around a bit, maybe you know them), the guitarist is like 15-16 and he shreds like crazy, sweeping arpeggios, the whole Dream Theater style prog thing. Not my style but impressive.

9. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Yeah I've been noticing this too. There's way too many shredders around here. I never see shredding bassists though.

Actually, as shredding goes, I found this video tasteful.

Graeme

10. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Gee, soloing over a handful of changes... like, wow.

Some things might be sacreligious, but not on this tune, I mean how many times have we heard the TacoBell Cannon? Do anything you want to it, it won't go away.

Great chops! Nice sound. (and I did thank God for the very few chord subsitiutions that were used) I'm hoping that he uses his talent to do something really new and interesting. He's young, he has time.

He should so some solo stuff over Phillip Glass' music. Phillip could use a well meaning metal guitar soloist.

11. Well! I guess whatever it takes to expose kids to the "classics"! I thought it was a pretty entertaining interpretation! If it were available way back when, I'd have used it for my wedding entrance!:D

Thanks!