Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Uprights for Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by mrjasonpries, Dec 15, 2003.

1. mrjasonpries

mrjasonpries

Dec 15, 2003
    I've been shopping around for a good upright bass for jazz playing, but I have no frame of reference to compare a "good" bass to a "bad" bass, besides the piles of junk at my school. I'm a student, planning on majoring in music (jazz) with my primary instrument being upright, and I'm looking for a good bass between $1000 and $2000.

2. mrjasonpries

mrjasonpries

Dec 15, 2003
    I was also wondering about the company Engelnhardt and the ES9 on this website... http://www.urbbob.com/engelhardt.html

They say engelhardt bought Kay basses...and i just played an old Kay bass the other day, and, it was less than amazing...to say the least, my friends and I shot pool balls at it.

3. mpm

mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Stop that, you'll hurt the pool balls! Check out (not necessarily in this order) Shen, Eastman, Christopher, and American Standard, for really good laminates and carved tops. I have my own favourites, but I think you should make your own informed decision. They all are readily available in the continental 48 states.

4. mxr255

mxr255 Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    I would try those companies also. I actually know a couple of guys who are majoring in bass using a Shen Hybrid bass That goes a little above your price range, but would be worth a look. The most important thing with any of these basses is to find a shop that knows what they are doing with the set up process. That can turn any of those basses into completely playable basses for a young jazz musician. Good Luck!

Matt

5. Gufenov

Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    Maybe it was a good bass with a poor setup? You said, in an earlier post:

A lot of successful musicians got that way playing Kay basses. Everyone has their preference, but make sure your selection is based on sound reasoning rather than snobbery.

6. mrjasonpries

mrjasonpries

Dec 15, 2003
    Ahh, I wasn't clear on the whole kay bass thing when i posted it. They Kay base I played, was an electric bass, which, I do have a great deal of experience playing on different models. The pick up was actually under the pick gaurd, the body was made of metal. I tried adjusting it, but the screws on the bridge was stripped, and truss rod was broken, because there were two frets, the 13th and 14th on the d string i beleive, and they both played the same note. I guess the original owner bought it at sears for $90 dollars. I was not sure if the quality of the electric Kay bass reflected upon the quality of the Kay uprights. I can understand how my comment came across snobish though, understandable. Maybe that will offer some clarification

7. mrjasonpries

mrjasonpries

Dec 15, 2003
    Sorry about the bad grammar, I think faster than I type.

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    There's a Christopher Hybrid for sale in the TB classified section, in the S.F. bay area.

9. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    if you want a good bass, you need ONLY a handmade one i know a great italian liuther if you need.
    gf.schiavo@virgilio.it
    he's really great
    he recently renewed a '51 Tarantino, and, man should hear it now

10. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I knew not many people talk about Strunal, but I own a Hybrid 5/20 and I love the bass. The bass is about 8 months old, and it sounds great! It's not the best bass, but I love her:D