1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

good US pots and jack for Squire build - advice?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wobble man, Mar 3, 2013.

1. wobble man

wobble man

Feb 15, 2013
    I'm in the process of modifying a Squire VM Jaguar. I have already swapped out the P pup and the bridge, and am waiting on my new goncalo alves / pau ferro fretless neck from Warmoth. The J pup is soon to be replaced as well.

However, I keep hearing that the pots and output jack on the Squires suck. Should I replace them, and if so, what is a quality product? I would need two stacked volume/tone pots at 250k, as well as a jack. All of my previous basses have been pricier gear, so I have never bothered with swapping pots and such... Thanks for any input you can provide.

2. Quite frankly, I wouldn't have done ANY of those mods, including the new pots and jack.The Squier VM Jag is perfectly fine as is. But, it's your bass, you do what you want to it, but to answer your question, yet again, there's nothing wrong with the stock electronics.

3. wobble man

wobble man

Feb 15, 2013
    I know, you are completely right in my experience, the VM Jag is a great bass out of the box. It plays and sounds great. But*I am at a point where I want something built completely to my tastes, and rather than paying stupid money for a custom instrument, I prefer to customize a bass myself. I have had no problems with the pots or jack so far, but have heard a few horror stories about them. If they don't need to be swapped, I won't...

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    get a new body and you're in business ;)

so it's what, 2 holes for controls and one for the jack?

i'd avoid the second tone control, it's pointless; a stacked V/V and a master tone (or a neck V and stacked BR V/master tone) would make more sense, you'd wire it just like a straight-up jazz bass.

allparts has the nice CTS stacked pots, as well as the real-deal switchcraft jack.

5. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Do they have to be made in the US?

6. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    CTS & Bourns make excellent pots. My preference is for CTS, but sometimes Bourns has a configuration that I can't find in a CTS, ie, a stacked Volume/Blend.

I always use Switchcraft jacks, period. My preference is for the MIL-Spec ones, but the regular ones are fine.

7. Five String

Five String Supporting Member

Don't know if it was the CTS pots and jack or the shielding and replacing the wiring and re-soldering all connections I did on on Squier VM jazz. One of the two, probably both, really improved the sound. The factory solder connections looked pretty bad, and other threads on TB indicated Fender is niot necessarily known for well-performed wiring.

8. Cadfael

Cadfael

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany, EU
    +1

You only have to measure if (the) 24 mm CTS pots fit into the cavity of the squier. Ols original Fender basses mostly have a 25.4 mm (1") catity. These are made by "US standard tools". But in Europe and Asia is the metric tool system. So, 20, 22 or 24 mm are standard tools for making a cavity ...

9. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    If you want something completely built to YOUR tastes, why are you asking what WE should use on your bass?! The reason for customization, at least in my opinion is because you have played so many basses and know exactly what you want, but it isn't offered commercially, so you have to 'customize' it to suit your needs. If you ask everyone else what they would use, its not a custom bass for you, instead it's what everyone else suggested to you. Kind of like the guy who posts about how he's going to spend $$$$ on a custom boutique bass but needs help spec'ing it out! I find those threads hilarious as well.

You mentioned that 'you've heard' that the pots and jack suck on the Squiers. Is this what you have experienced yourself with your own ears or what others have told you? Did you even give the bass a chance with all the stock components, or did you just go to town on it before giving it a chance?

I'm sorry if my post may some across as a little harsh, but what's the point of buying a Squier then complaining about it's components, and replacing everything except the body because you mention you are used to higher end basses?! Why not just take the money you spent on the bass and the money you threw at it with 'upgrades' and bout the actually bass you really wanted?

10. wobble man

wobble man

Feb 15, 2013
    Actually, I'm not complaining about the components of the Squire, the only reason I asked about pots and jack is because I read a VM Jag review of a user whose pots crapped out after 4 months, and have read posts by others on TB who have said switching the components improved sound. I am not all that knowledge about pot and wiring issues, never dealt with them in my 27 years of playing bass.

And I'm not asking for advice on how to build my bass, I haven't asked anyone what pups to put in it, what neck to use, what bridge to use, etc. I know exactly what I want, but on this one issue I am not a knowledgeable as many.

I am not knocking a stock Squire. But the reason I am moding it is because there aren't any basses out there that have the features I want, this is the easiest route for me. And the total amount of money I am spending on these mods wouldn't come close to buying a new bass with the features I want (which doesn't exist, as I've already pointed out). We're talking in the ballpark of a MIM Fender. I know what basses are out there and what I want, so I don't see why you have to get all condescending with me because I asked for some advice on pots...

11. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Regarding the bass where the pots allegedly died after 4 months - ANYTHING can have problems, even Roll-Royce cars and custom made guitars. I have decades old Squiers with the original pots, and I am sure many others here do, as well.

You might get a nicer feel and a potentially longer life (20 years instead of 10, maybe) from more expensive pots and jack, but they sure aren't going to change your sound. As long as it is working properly, a pot or jack cannot affect your sound "quality". Period.

Changing the pickups will change the sound, but whether or not it is better is subjective.

12. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    +1

13. wobble man

wobble man

Feb 15, 2013
    TY for the helpful input Bassamatic. I've never had issues with the pots and jacks in any of my previous basses, so have never messed with them and therefor didn't know if changing them would improve sound. And yes, the review about the pots going bad could have been just a lemon bass or the owner abusing the instrument. Have decided not to mess with the pots and jack...

14. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    +1000