Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Value High Quality Cab Cheap!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hey all!!

I'm thinking of ordering one of these new cabs. Avatar has just upgraded their 4x10 ($249 + $42 shipping) cabs to include Eminence Delta speakers (they used to use Eminence ones that were close to the Deltas with a smaller voice coil). I spoke with the owner Dave (who always answers the phone himself). He said (as it states on the website) that they only use 3/4" plywood (not particle board like most others including some Ampeg cabs and it also has a real Foster horn (like a lot of others more expensive cabs). I think that some Ampegs used or and/or still do use Eminence speakers also. What's not to like. Should I do it???? Damn I sound like a salesman (but I'm not)

Links to Avatar and Eminence

Eminence Delta

Fred
    Should I buy it?????

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    That sounds cool. I will check out the link. I have seen a lot of internet companies that sell eminence loaded cabs.

...and then in the description it says that they are similar to eminence or something.

Do they have specs on their cabs too? Well, I suppose I could read the link...

Be back in a jiffy.

3. I have some cabs built with eminence delta 10's. They are a little weak on the low end, but seem to really pick up around 80hz. This is not a bad thing, just something to think about. I would personally buy a cab from avatar. Hella deal, great components. I'm gonna make the guitarist I play with buy one of their extension cabs. Cheaper than I can make them from.

Big thumbs up [​IMG]

4. Quadzilla

Oh one more thing. His site shows the old Eminence speakers that he was putting into the cabs, but starting on March 20th, he will be shipping the Eminence Deltas in. I ask you, what's not to like?????

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I didn't see any stats.

What are the cabs tuned to? Or are they tuned at all? I notice that they have 2 115 cabs. One is compact at 18" x 18" x 15" and the other is 25" x 25" x 16" . It's kind of strange to me.

They look cool. Hmm...

6. Quadzilla

Dave said he tunes em. Give him a call. He talked to me for over 30 minutes earlier. Very very nice guy!!!

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Cool.

I sent him an email about the 115s asking:

What are they tuned to?

What is the usable frequency range?

What is the sensetivity?

What is the weight?

8. Quadzilla

He uses a Eminence Kappa on the 15 and sells the whole cab for $199!!!! You couldn't build it yourself with that speaker and a cheap particle wood cab for that money!!! He also told me that he "groves" (I thinlk that was the word) the cabinet ends together unlike some other cab companys that just "butt em together and glue them". Oh doh, here is the info on the 115 from the site.

The B115 bottom bass cab has an American made Heavy Duty EMINENCE KAPPA 15" bass speaker which is rated at 400 RMS Watts (800 max. watts) The 15 has a large 80 ounce magnet and a 3 inch high temperature vented voice coil. The enclosure is covered in black carpet, has protective corners, large recessed bar handles, and dual 1/4" Switchcraft in/out jacks (for daisy chaining with other speaker cabs) mounted on a steel plate. The 15 inch bass speaker is protected by a full face steel diamond pattern expanded metal grill. It is ported in the rear and is an 8 ohm system. This B115 bottom cab mates up beautifully with our 210/410 top cabs. Dimensions 25"H X 25"W X 16.5"D. Weight 45lbs. One year warranty and 14 day return policy.

9. Quadzilla

Again, this is all the right info except mine (and others ordered from here on out) will have the Enimence Deltas and not the other Eminence OEM speakers that were like the Delta's (same but 2.0" coil vs 2.5" on the Deltas). Here ya go. At $249, I ordered one!!

The B410 features a rugged 3/4 inch PLYWOOD cabinet and is loaded with four heavy duty American Made Custom Eminence 10 inch Bass Speakers and a tweeter. These Eminence 10's are designed specifically for bass cab manufacturers and are not part of their regular line. These custom tens are very similar to the Delta 10's in that they both have 56 oz magnets but these custom 10's have 2 inch voice coils instead of 2.5 inch coils. The four 10's combined are rated at 800 WATTS RMS (1600 MAX. WATTS). It has tons of Punch! The Foster high frequency compression horn tweeter is the most popular tweeter used by some of the best companies in the bass cab business. The tweeter is filtered with a mylar capacitor crossover and has an adjustable volume control on the back input panel. The cabinet is covered in black carpet, has protective corners, large recessed steel bar handles, full face steel diamond pattern expanded metal grill, ports, steel input panel with dual Switchcraft 1/4 inch in/out jacks and is available in ONE of the following: 4 or 16 ohm mono (8 ohm mono will be back in stock 3/20/02). Weight 85lbs, Dimensions 25H x 25W x 16.5D One year warranty and 14 day return policy.

Cool!!!!

:p :D :)

10. Quadzilla

Dave at Avatar will install Eminence or Celestion speakers, your call. WOW

11. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Gabu, did you get an answer from Avatar on the useable frequency range and other specs?

12. xax712

xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    On the speaker website the site said thier cones are made out of paper and cloth what are some of the other companies using to make their cones?
    Ex.SWR
    Eden
    I know Hartke uses Aluminum
    Aguilar
    Ampeg????
    What are these guys using???
    What are Bagends made out of????
    Just a guestion?

13. Almost all speaker cones are made from paper. Hartke's are aluminum; Trace Elliot's are paper but with a lot of carbon fiber impregnated into them.

14. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Not specifics. He refered me to kappa stats and told me the weight.

I haven't replied yet to ask for more details about the cab, as opposed to the driver.

15. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'd checkout the Peaveys.
    Better yet, I'd venture to say they're good enough, without adding in "The bang for the buck."

16. Quadzilla

Dunno man, the Peavey's still ain't as cheap (money wise) as these Avatars. And from what I have read, they use the same components as the big boys (Foster Horns like SWR and Fender, Eminence speakers like Ampeq, etc). Plus you factor in the real 3/4" plywood cab. How the F can you go wrong. The reviews on Harmony Central also are testiment to the quality. Seems to me that it's the best kept secret in terms of value in Bass cabs...

Fred

17. pokey

pokey

Mar 9, 2002
    I am considering these Avatar cabs also, either a 4x10 or 1x15 and 2x10. Let us know what your 4x10 sounds like, especially bottom end. Is it good on a 4 string?

Gabu, nice hair. I used to have mine cut like that a few years back.

Bye.

18. LJW

LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
    The manufacturer will not provide freq. response, sensitivity, ect. of the completed enclosure?

19. xax712

xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    ok I checked these things out and they seem to be pretty awesome, but my only concern is if I put a 2x10 and a 15 together in parrallel I'm gonna need a freaking load of of head room. What kind of head do you guys recommend...power amp...normal big amp...what????
    I just figured that's something that needs to be asked?
    Also if you run the two cabs in stereo is that parallel, series, or neither?
    Thanks,
    Brad

20. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I believe that really requires some serious equipment and time to do a full scale evaluation. You can probably get close by taking into account the speaker specs, the internal volume and the cab tuning.