Good venues in London?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by yawnsie, Aug 27, 2002.

1. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Well, since there's not much future in gigging around Liverpool, whatever the NME is saying at the moment (a city where weakly copying The Las passes for originality :rolleyes: ), my band has decided to broaden our horizons a little and play in other places. We're in the middle of sorting out a few dates in Manchester, but I was wondering if anyone knows of any good venues down in London that we might have a chance of getting a gig at. Any ideas?

Of course, if we do get a gig down in the smoke, I reckon we could have that UK Talkbass get-together that CS tried to sort a while ago. ;)
  2. you wouldn't happen to be referring to The Coral?;)

as for London venues, The Water Rats, king's cross

the Garage, Islington (but quite a big venue for an unsigned, unknown band to play (ie. too big to headline))

The Verge, Kentish Town

Barfly, Camden Monarch, also 414 west end

Dublin castle, camden

West One four, west kensington (formerly the orange)

be warned, though, London has its fare share of clone bands too......
  3. It's sad to hear Liverpool is not good for gigs. I lived there for over 10 years and at the time there was a lot of live music. (Even saw the La's at Kirklands :D )

I've just had a look at your homepage and see you're playing original material, which undoubtedly makes a difference to the kind of places you'd play. It's good to hear the Picket is still going!

Here on the Isle of Wight there are very few venues with a music licence. I'm sure if you played originals it would be very hard to get gigs. I often wonder how our gigs might be different if we played on the mainland, and whether the earnings would be comparable. Ours is a cover band, and we all do it for fun.... we're too old to have any other aspirations!! We get regular gigs, but of course the water separating us is a limiting factor.

Sorry to ramble! Best of luck with gigs in London.
  4. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London well as The Bandits, The Zutons, Tramp Attack, The Jackals... :rolleyes: ;)

Cheers for all those links, MTR. Hopefully something will come of them.
  5. If you got a gig in Manchester, look forward to seeing me Yawnsie. What venues you looking at?
  6. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    It's not so much that the gigging scene in Liverpool is dead as such, just that it's not our thing. The aforementioned NME is trying to hype the city up as some sort of modern mecca, but it's not really the case. There's a few bands, part of something called the Bandwagon, that have got it together, but it consists mainly of those Las copyists, and it's pretty much a cliquey scene - if your face doesn't fit in with those Bandwagon groups that people are trying to push forward at the moment, you've got an uphill struggle. One website that reviews bands recently had a pop at us for sounding too much like Led Zeppelin, and then heaped praise on The Crescent for faithfully imitating Cast and Oasis. :rolleyes:

Ah well. At least we've still got the Picket. :)

Nice one! You don't have 49 mates who'd come along too, do you? ;):D

We've looked at a few places... the Roadhouse, Night and Day Cafe, and some others that I can't think of just now. Hopefully, we'll be coming over to Mancland soon.

Incidentally (shamless promotion coming up), listen out for Terry Christian's show on Century FM... the bloke who does it with him has heard us, and there's a chance we might get played on there sometime soon. Of course, I've just cursed meself there and I'll look like an idiot when he doesn't play us, but never mind... :p
  7. Well, as a matter of fact I DO have 49 mates....;)

Roadhouse sounds best to me, nice venue and good sound system. Or, you could try playing the Witchwood in Ashton - my hometown. You could kip on my floor as well, just keep the noise down in my house, OK? With a Zeppelin sound you'd go down a treat here, we love our tribute bands and old-school rock.
  8. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Thanks for the offer, but are you sure you want a scouser kipping in your house? I've had a look at your profile, and I think I could get a few quid for all your gear... :eek: :D
  9. Don't worry, you'll be under constant armed guard.