1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good Vibes from a Good Gig.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by GearHeadBassMan, Mar 24, 2009.

1. So, played a benefit show for To Write Love on Her Arms last Saturday in Hartford. We were real excited because it was a show run by a teen, however she knew what she was doing and got the event sponsored by businesses and what not and most importantly, got 5 great bands on the bill instead of 10 terrible ones (like these shows usually end up being).

The bassist from the first band (great bar/dance band)'s rig of and SWR 550 and a megoliath simply wouldn't make noise for some reason. I was troubleshooting with my rig (using my cab through his amp, my amp through his cab) and if one part of his gear was in the chain, there was just nothing. So I realized that all my gear was also on stage, and we were playing next, so I just set up my rig (avatar b410 through a sansamp and 900 watts of power) and let him use that along with a shortened version of my board (the BDDI and my rocktron chorus). Normally I wouldn't let bands use my rig (and actually had a bad situation last night with my rig when my band leader thought it was ok to lend out my gear... don't worry, I set him straight) but the dude was clearly on the level and was a nice guy.

So they play their gig and I can't help but notice how huge the bass sounds (he was playing through a thumb) or how big the dude's smile was throughout the course of the show. He started hitting runs on the higher frets along with the chorus and he seemed to have a blast with my rig.

After that we played our set and he was intently enjoying himself throughout it and afterwards came up to me and asked me about where I got the rig, how I heard about it, what kind of bass I was playing, how'd I get my tone... everything from a guy almost 10 years older than me in a professional band!

Seeing and hearing my rig from the audience and hearing how the guy didn't miss his 8x10 made me feel so good! Maybe i'm finally happy with my gear?

2. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    sounds like you had a good night.