Good video camera for your tapings

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Jimmy4string, Sep 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Greetings TB video kings!
    I am thinking of the Go Pro Hero 5 to start videoing our band. What do you you use?
    And suggest.
    GO!

2. *Bump* I guess I am more interested to know what you guys use or suggest for video -if anything.
    I would like to have something quick to use at a gig or practice.

3. I get lots of mileage out of my Zoom Q3HD. You can use the built in stereo microphone or line in for the audio.

pwhalen, Stumbo and Jimmy4string like this.
  4. mikewalker

mikewalker

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Jimmy4string likes this.
  5. I have a Zoom Q8 I like a lot. Have to remember to use the windscreen for outdoor gigs though unless you are running line in from a board.

From what I've seen/read, the video is a little higher res on the GP5 (though the zoom goes to 2304 x 1296 at 60fps) but the zoom audio is a little better. To be honest, either would be more than sufficient for a gig/practice, but neither is going to give you a pro-quailty shoot except maybe as the 2nd or 3rd cam in a multi-cam shoot.

Jimmy4string likes this.
  6. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Thieye i60 is a cheap GoPro-style camera. Video looks pretty good if you can throw some good wash light on the stage area. Audio sucks...you'll get much better results recording audio off your board.

Cameras: Panasonic V770 Camcorder (front view + audio track); Nikon 5200 SLR (bassist view); [2] Thieye 60i Action Cameras (guitarist view and stage right cam); additional Chauvet WashFX light out front.

Word of warning: I also bought cheap-a$$/no-name action cam off Ebay for like $20. Waste of money...video is pixelated and jumpy.

pwhalen and Jimmy4string like this.
  7. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Canon Vixia HF R600 is what I use. HD, image stabilization, optical zoom, good capacity, not expensive.
    Sound capture (A/D) is good but the onboard microphone is suboptimal. I use an ancient stereo electret condenser mike with appropriate adapter into the 'mic in' jack.

I do use a Hero 4 Session for on-bass shots (you can see a little here... ). The Session versions seem to be smaller, lighter, and cheaper. I might just have to pick up another couple Session 4's since they've come down a bit now that the 5's are out...

Jimmy4string and pwhalen like this.
  8. My Q3HD's video quality is good but not as good as my digital camera. But the sound is where the Q3HD outperforms my cellphone and digital camera.

9. GoPro Hero 5... These are a tad grainy, but the sound is pretty good. Still learning... Gotta set the res better next time

Jimmy4string and pwhalen like this.
  10. Not sure how to post a clip, but (hopefully) here's one from the Q8 using the onboard mics

Bass Viking and Jimmy4string like this.
  11. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan

12. p-lo

p-lo

Jun 18, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I-Phone 6, the picture is not quite as good as a video camera but the mic does a good job of capturing the live band sound for me.

pwhalen and Jimmy4string like this.
  13. ^^ that is actually surprisingly good all around

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022