Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good videos?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Nov 11, 2000.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Anyone know any good videos? I just bought
    Flea's thing and it's pretty hoaky.

Any GOOD videos regardless of the techniques
    or subjects covered...I could use help in about
    everything!

2. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    anything on victor wooten

3. the jerry jermont video is pretty good
    i like stu hamm's first video even thought he seems like he just ate a large meatball sub and wants to belch bad

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I like both of the John Patitucci videos - also "Funkifying the Clave" (Lincoln Goines and Robby Ameen) has enough stuff to keep you going for a while.

5. Have you checked out Abraham Laboriel and Jeff Berlin?They have interesting philosophies concerning bass playing.It definitely changed the way I approach the bass.

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I´ve seen many instructional videos (i'm missing Victor Wooten's) and the best to me has been "slap, pop and tap for the bass" (Stu Hamm's first). Aside from his cool licks, i think he's a great teacher. He's been really an inspiration to me. I bought this and "Modern electric bass" by Jaco at the same time. Jaco was a great player (of course!), but he's not that catchy in his video (i'm not talking about his style or technique. I'm talking about him, as a person). I think Stu is very charming and his explanations are really clear. He made me run to my bass and play. I literally devoured his video and after years of struggling, i can play (not like him, of course), several of his tunes. BTW, i think that the only virtuoso with an almost-impossible-to-imitate technique, unless you born again and start from scratch is Billy Sheehan. I think this guy is a monster sent from another planet. To me, his video is just a discussion on his style. Someone may say: "it's an advanced instructional video". I say "If you want to play like him, take your technique, put it in the trash can and start again". "OK. Then is useful for a beginner", you may say. I reply "Maybe, but it's too complex for a beginner".

Anyway, i also think that technique is not the only or most important aspect of playing. There are so many guys out there who doesn't have an impressive technique, but what a groove! they make you feel like dancing. This is a really valuable asset. Also, don't forget that it's cool to imitate a master, but it's more important to take what you need or like from him (her) and make it your own. :)

7. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    LMAO! Don't ya hate that?

I'll agree. I was fortunate to see him up-close many a times here in Buffalo. Too many people pass him off as just another Rock bassists. The guy has some serious chops and can play his ass off.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think you have to take into account the time when this video was made - if you read his biography, he was right in the middle of a self-destructive period of substance abuse/addiction - it's amazing that this was made at all. Apparently they kept him in a hotel under supervision for several days to get him "straight" and he hadn't been playing for a while before this - hence his comment "gimme a gig!"

I am glad we have the video, although in many ways it is very sad, but amazing character does come shining through in places, given what has gone on before this. It's just a shame we don't have anything similar from a period when he was at his peak. I have personally got a lot of inspiration from watching this, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone as an instructional video, rather a moving reminder of what might have been.

9. I couldnt have said it better myself! Amen! :)

10. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    I just got Carol Kaye's video and it is awesome. It is packed with a lot of great info that could take years to digest. It is quite long and there is no bs, it is all good information. She also just dropped the price on her video so I can highly recommend it.

11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Billy Sheehan has a two-video set that got me started. Even though I watched them over and over, I learned something new every time. Then I put the set away and came back to it five years later. Things I didn't understand suddenly were clear. In fact, I ought to get those videos out again and have another look. I bet I'll learn something new even now.

Another video that will take you a long time to work through is Dave LaRue's. It comes with an instruction book that gives you plenty of solid material, especially for jazz. Don't be intimidated by this video. Just take your time and work with it regularly.

Lastly I must mention the excellent videos by Roscoe Beck who introduces and explains blues. These also come with instruction books and contain material useful to both beginners and more advanced players. I really like Beck's style.

One caveat, especially for beginners, videos can be a little frustrating, because if you can't understand what is said, you can't ask questions. But a positive aspect about videos is that they can be watched hundreds of times, stopped and backed up, and you can come back to them several years later and still learn something new.

Jason Oldsted

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Jason Oldstead mentioned two of my favorites, Dave LaRue's and Roscoe Beck's. I'd also add Beaver Felton's, especially the beginner videos for...well...beginners :D. Beaver is very good at explaining concepts and taking things step by step, not to mention he's a MONSTER player (and really cool guy). For getting some really cool ideas for fingerstyle funk, get Rocco Prestia's video...heck, just get it and watch it for the live stuff with Tower of Power....HOT DAMN!!! :D Rocco is easily the funkiest white man in the universe....Flea just WISHES he was that funky :cool:.

13. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Michael Manring's "Bass Essentials" is a great tape for relative beginners. He goes over tuning, scales, basic left and right hand technique, and most importantly, tips for avoiding injury. There's some virtuoso stuff to marvel at, as well. Roscoe Beck's "Blues Foundations" is also a great beginner video.

For the more advanced, Victor Wooten's "Bass Day '98" video is a great, cheap alternative to his bona fide instructional video. This video does a lot to demistify Wooten's rather unorthodox double thumb technique. It also features a surprise appearance by Reggie, Vic's equally amazing guitar-slapping brother.

14. I've only got Rocco Prestia's Fingerstyle Funk video - and Gard is right, it is amazing as well as HELPFUL. He does a cool job of explaining where he gets his ideas from and how to build lines from the basics up. The half speed/full speed/live sequences are excellent and you get a booklet with the music too!