Good "Vintage" Bass Stores

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rogerbmiller, Feb 27, 2005.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    Can anyone rattle off a list of good "vintage" bass stores that might do biz on the web? By "vintage" I do not mean $8,000 62 Jazz basses. I am thinking more along the lines of older and a bit unusual. Like Ovation Magnums for example.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  3. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    HA! My point exactly! Kind of sad IMO. Used to be you went to the shop and there was variety. No ebay killed the variety category. So you have ebay and guitar center. Not a good situation.
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
  5. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Don't be fooled by Subway's (fatdog) website. Most of the time the stuff on the site doesn't exist and they try and pawn some plywood relic on you for premium prices. Go anywhere else.
  6. Winemule

Winemule Guest

Feb 27, 2005
    Bass Palace is a hoot! Thanks!
  7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    yeah it's a iffy place.

I generally lurk ebay and a few bass site classifieds. I got a few killer deals here and at as well as being an eBay member since Nov-03-98. I've bought gear, cars, gem stones, jewrey, furniture, computers, you name it.

eBay has killed the pawn shops and flea markets... but I'm glad to not be stuck in a regional market of other peoples junk :hyper:
  8. RunngDog

RunngDog Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Guess it depends a bit on where you were. Yeah, you went to a the shop and there was whatever variety they chose to stock -- usually very little in the way of quality, high-end stuff (at least where I grew up). Yes, eBay has probably killed off the old "'62 Jazz found at a pawnshop for $150" deal, but I never found any of those anyway, so I'm happy to have access to lots more basses than was ever the case in the past.
  9. RunngDog

RunngDog Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Also worth mentioning that running a musical instrument retail store has never been much of a way to make a living -- most subsist on income from teaching, luthier services, and aftermarket gear and parts. A lot of very good stores now sell primarily through eBay -- which gives them access to a much larger market (and gives us buyers access to a much larger inventory of product).
  10. HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    I spend a lot of time looking at the thedudepit which is where I just got my new jazz bass.
  11. Bass Northwest is my favorite, along with Bass Central.

There are other honorable folks out there, but those two have gone far out of their way to do the right thing for me many times over.

12. My three favorites are (, a funky store in Buffalo, NY who often land funky old basses and offer them for reasonable prices, and ( and (, where people sell stuff without having the slightest idea what it's worth.
    I got a '69 Gibson EB-3 and first-year Czech Spector from Daddys for $550 each a few years back. Crazy. A guy I know bought an early-'80s Fender Walnut Elite P with a Chandler replacement neck on craigslist for $75 last week. That's insane.
    The Honorable Mention goes to (, of Rochester, NY, who offer impossible-to-find screwball instruments for often-reasonable prices.
    I talked to Swami Bob, Bass Palace's boss, a few weeks ago; he doesn't seem like the type to lose money on a deal, but also not like the type to jerk your chain at all. I would not recommend anyone here do business with Fatdog.
  13. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Wow, I'm in Rochester but I'd never heard of Diamond. Funky is the word!

I would add House of Guitars, but they don't have any online presence. But they do have thousands of ancient god-knows-what in stock.
  14. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    If you know what you're looking for, try Lots of stores to search through, and good chances of finding some fairly oddball kind of stuff. Here is an Ovation Magnum that just happens to be listed for sale at Diamond Strings, which was already mentioned.
  15. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    there's a GC (yea, i said GC) in springfield, NJ, who have a great selection of vintage P's. all under 2 grand, too. nearly picked one up myself.