Good, Warm Budget Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Head Creep, May 2, 2005.

1. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm looking to upgrade from my V-Amp to something that I can do practices and small gigs with. I'm not looking to spend a fortune (I could maybe swing $600, though obviously less is better), and I want a warm, low sound (couldn't care less about the highs). I'm pairing it up with an OLP 5-string, and I don't see myself ditching the low B anytime soon. Any suggestions?
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you can't find anything used, go for an Avatar 212 with the Ashdown Mag head in their special deal.
    Pro cabs at a low price :smug:
  3. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'd actually like to go used and get the best possible setup for the money, but I don't know where to start. It's all pretty overwhelming for a newbie...
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    After you get Avatar, you won't get anything else until you have $1500.
  5. gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    i saw a GK backline 410 on sale at GC for 250. Throw a used head on it, and your rockin 410's for under 410... hahaha i crack myself up :bassist: :bassist:
  6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Just make sure you don't use a GK head if you want warm tone.
  7. Since you're located in Los Angeles go to a Carvin store and try the new B500 mono block; it's ~ $450.00 and wil be even more than you need. The B series outperforms the Red Line amps by far.
  8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'm not sure how much volume you need, but for a warm low tone to compete with a drum kit I'd start with a nice 1x15 like an Eden 115T (there are many others, but thats a favorite of mine). If you find one used it'll probably just be a couple hundred bucks. That might leave you enough cash for a used Eden WT-300 or -400 which would be a great match. That Ashdown MAG would probably be nice as well ... or an Ampeg or SWR ... you just have to see whats availible to you. If you start with a nice 115, anything decent you plug into it is likely to give you a warm round tone.

Then when you'd ready for more sound you can add another 115 or a 210 depending on what direction you want to go with your sound.
  9. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Some ideas for good 115s: Eden (either T or XLT), Aguilar GS, SWR Triad (this is a GREAT cab and you can often find them cheap), Bag End, others can probably chip in some more ideas ... and if you can't find any of those locally used, you might just give the Avatar a shot. Under 300 bucks brand new shipped to your door. I doubt it sounds as good as the others, but you never know.

I wish avatar had been around when I was getting started.
  10. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Those are all good suggestions, but if you dont need too much volume (quiet practices, gigs are with PA etc) then look out for an Ampeg B100R, that fits all of your requirement perfectly, except maybe volume. :)
  11. Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    you could probably get a yorkville xm200t and an extension (either xc210 or xc115) for under 600. That's 4 10s or 2 10s and a 15. Sounds good too.
  12. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Avatar 112 plus my Peavey Deltabass head (which is for sale in the Classifieds section) Shameless plug. I'm sorry.

But SERIOUSLY, for practice and smaller gigs the Peavey Deltabass is a terrific head, no fan so nice and quiet. 160 watts is plenty of grunt into 4 ohms and it has professional controls galore (tuner out / contour control / parametric mid EQ / DI out / effects loop etc.).

Even if you bought a new Max 160 (around $300 new), that in combination with an Avatar SB112 cabinet ($248 shipped) would be a killer-sounding budget rig with big booty that a lot of combos could not match. Easily transportable too.
  13. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    What would be the better choice, a 2x12 or 1x15? Assuming the price difference is ignorable and they're both the same brand, what would be the best buy? A trip to the local Sam Ash is making me really like those Avatar's, so if Guitar Center doesn't have anything good I'll probably be ordering through them.

As for the head, the MAG 300 sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Now I just need to figure out if I want the rackmount version or not...
  14. +1 on the avatar 212 and Ashdown mag.
  15. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    +1 more. :D the mags are rated conservative and will not distort at high volume like a lot of solid state heads will. id suggest the 2x12. it will be more versatile and have a bit more punch then the 1x15.
  16. 7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    I don't have any experience with the 15, but a friend of mine runs the Avatar 212 alone with a kind of loud rock/cover band in medium-sized bar gigs and it is more than sufficient, and can be warm (as in, turn the tweeter off) or not warm depending on your gear. I cannot imagine the 115 is better, and for the price it seems like a no-brainer. Not a lightweight, but I have seen Dave quoted as saying the 212 is his best stand-alone cab. My 2c.
  17. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

+99999999 on that. DO IT NOW!!!! you will not regret it, it's perfect for your needs and at your price. There's nothing close to it for that price for what you need.
  18. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I was almost set on the Avatar and Ashdown setup, but I found the Ashdown MAG C410T, which is the same head bundled with a 4x10 cabinet. The combo can handle an extension cabinet, and it costs a whole 97 cents more than the Avatar package. Am I wrong in thinking that the combo is the better way to go?
  19. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    I use the Ampeg B100R and love it. It is as a very warm, vintage sound. It sounds much louder than something 'knee high'.
  20. spockrock79

Dec 7, 2004
    i've got a b100r and an ashdown with a 212(dr bass not avatar) can't go wrong with either set up, both pretty warm and have all the tone you could want...