Good wattage amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RyanMitchell, Sep 17, 2005.

1. RyanMitchell

Sep 17, 2005
    hey everyone, ive been using a 50 watt amp for my electric and its as loud as i could ever want...........but i need an amp for my bass, i was wondering what would be a good wattage bass amp for small gigs (bars,birthday parties, etc) and is there a difference between electric and bass amp wattage
  2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    maybe not bars, but private parties, basement practices, etc I'd say combo: 12" w/150w or 12"cab with 300w rack. if you go with a combo get one where you can add a speaker without shutting off the internal speaker if you need more volume.

some "bars" may be a different story unless you can go through their monitor system.

when you say "electric" I figure you mean six-string guitar and not bass. Bass usually requires about 4x as much power to get similar volume to compete with six-string. that my guess.
  3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Do you have PA support? If so, you don't need anything too big and your 60 would probabally even suffice. That said, a Peavey TNT is a great loud amp for if you are on a budget or don't want to haul around a big rig. What style do you play?
  4. RyanMitchell

Sep 17, 2005
    yes, when i said electric, i meant a 6 string, ive gotten so used to distinguishing guitars as either electric or bass since i moved down to georgia and thats what every one calls them, which really makes no sense because both are electric, anyway, thanks for the help. and as for playing style, i use a pick as my band plays alot of punk rock, although we have been known to throw down a little skynrd. but i only play bass if our lead bassist is i dont want to spend to much money on something that i will use every now and then, but i do want quality. and most of the time we wont have pa support, we are working on buying a setup though
  5. A lot of it depends on the sensitivity/efficiency of the speakers you're going to be playing through. I don't have very loud cabs, and in my experience 250 watts is the absolute minimum for me to play with a rock drummer on a small gig. Using other people's cabs, I've found I could get away with far less wattage.

For what you're looking for, I'd probably go with a (used if possible) 1x15" combo of some sort. Probably Peavey or Hartke since you're not looking to spend a ton of money.