Good websites to learn about woods?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DigMe, Sep 30, 2002.

1. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey all you bass birthers... Anyone know a good website to learn about tonewoods? I'd like to find one with good picture samples and whatnot to show differences in various woods including exotic stuff (in other words - I can already tell walnut from ash from quilted maple - I wanna know curly burled wahahami wanki wood from spalted quilty cuckoo kiki crotch and so-on). get the idea. Know any good ones?

brad cook
  2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I don't think that there's currently an authoratative informational site on exotic woods. At least, I have not found one. I have a woods page on my site, but I don't consider it authoratative or exhaustive by any means.

There's lots of information out there, but it's widely distributed. Some sites have good pictures, but no technical information, and vice versa. Some sites have information that contradict other sites. It's a jungle out there, and if you can find a good book, that will serve you best. World Woods in Color is pretty good.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

A couple of sites with exotic wood eye-candy;

- (click on sample pics)

- (where I bought my cocobolo; they just wet the wood - no colored lighting used)

- I've bought from these guys, too. They sometimes get a log of really rare stuff that they don't even bother to mention on the website because they know it will be gone in 24 hrs. For that you have to talk/email Jim Heusinger, the company prez.)

For good info about species without any pics, here's one fine source;

None are as good as the Woods of the World software I got, in case you really want to go nuts like me.
  4. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    most certainly have! great page, ken.
  5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Righteous woods is a couple hours from me. The guy who does the buying of exotics is a riot. I bet he's there late every day. The guy is burl crazy. They get some serious wood there if you've got the coin.
  6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    FBB's page is really good if you wanna get to know what some of the woods look like. Matt's got a lot of different woods up there. Ken Smith's doesn't have quite as much variety, but Mr. Smith gives excellent specifics on the woods he uses. Those are both good luthier's sites, and I have used nearly all of those that rickbass mentioned.

ahh...I could spend all day looking at Gilmer Wood. I've bought a lot of thier cane blanks for my girlfriend's dad. They're great to work with.