Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good wireless for ~$200?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by embellisher, Jun 10, 2005.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I need a UHF wireless. I play 5 and 6 string basses, so frequency response down to 50 hz like most of them have isn't gonna cut it.

So, does this exist, for $200? Am I pushing it in wishing for true diversity as well?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What you want is $300. Shure PG or UT. AKG GuitarBug is in that range, too.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    This business of frequency response is vastly misunderstood. A wireless with a freq response of 50 or 60 hz can reproduce the sound of a low E or even a B just fine. I've used cheap Samson wirelesses for about 17 years and never had a problem with hearing my lowest notes. All this talk about freq response mattering is a rumor designed to scare bassists into buying expensive wirelesses. Means nothing. Plug it in and listen...does it sound good? Then buy it.

4. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yup, I have an AKG UHF Diversity Guitarbug system. Reproduces my low B just fine in gospel, funk, and R & B. My guitarist and I played out in the parking lot of a club during one high-energy jam and I didn't experience any dropouts...must have been at least 30 yards from the base and no interference from each other's system, either. I found mine on ebay for about $255, but having some of the crowd follow us outside was priceless!

5. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    Sennhieser 1092D. It doesn't rolloff until 20Hz. I bought mine about four years ago for $258. They bought the X-Wire patent.

I've been really happy with mine and would replace it immediately if something ever happened to it.

6. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Audio Technica 601G. I will swear on these things. I play out a few times a month, I always use this and I have never had problems. 10 UHF channels so that if you do have any interference, just switch channels and problem solved. I scored one for $70 on eBay in great condition. I think they run ~ $250 new.