1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good wireless vs good cable?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dragonlord, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I searched but couldn't find anything similar. Inspired by the thread about good and bad cables in the pickups forum, I'd like to know how does a good wireless unit, like Shure ULX, compare to a good cable, like Bayou.

2. A number of people stand by the *digital* wireless systems (X-wire and Sennheiser) that are no longer available. Unfortunately these systems have their inherrent issues through manufacturing quality, lack of parts and support which is basically now non-existant.

I've had both systems and they sound great - I can't tell the difference between these systems and a good $100 cable.

The only digital system now available is on this page:
    http://www.dbtechnologies.com/mod_produkte.cfm?pgid=7&pugid=19&psugid=0&pid=96

Unfortunately, I cannot comment on this system (it is reportedly 20Hz-20KHz though).

The Shure ULX is probably the best on the current Shure list for bass (it goes down to 25Hz) which makes it usable for basses with the lo' B. Mind you, there will be A/D and D/A conversion in the signal path between the bass to the amp (or DI) which will come into play from a sonic viewpoint - depends how well you hear, what you discern as the differences and whether it bothers you.

I believe Munji likes Shure ULXS - he may comment here or you can do a search in TB forums.

Anthony Wellington (Vic Wooten's bass tech), tells me Vic used the X-wire digital system before and it started stuffing up. Since then Vic uses the Shure wireless systems when on tour and is very happy.

You should go check it out and do an A/B listening test. That will be you best option. It's gotta satisfy you first and foremostly.

Cheers,
    Ozzie :)

3. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Thanks for the reply. I've done my homework on the ULX - and yes, munji likes the ulxs. What I wanted to know is how it compares to a good quality cable. It's more out of curiosity, I have decided to buy a ULX sooner or later, just wanted to know what people with better ears than me and access to hi-end cables think about it.

4. No worries.

All the best with your purchase.

Cheers,
    Ozzie :)