Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Wireless?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joseph Draxx, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Hey Guys,

This is my first post here so go easy on me :) (have been lurking for a little while - thanks for all the great info so far)

I have recently started playing in a new band after about 10 months off playing shows, and the whole band is looking into getting wireless set-ups. The problem is that ones that the guitarists want to get (normally sub $AU1000 systems that have selectable frequencies) don't go low enough for bass. I know people say that you can get by with a good 2nd harmonic but to me it prefer the link between my bass and my amp to be able to transmit the full signal my bass is putting out. We play tuned to drop D, with all the strings detuned down by a semitone (C# G# C# F# for my basses) - so I would prefer a wireless unit that can manage the C# fundamental (a quick aside, can anyone give me a figure for this note?).

My other concern is that all my basses have 18v onboard preamps, so they run quite hot. My experiences with guitar wirelesses in the past using basses with 9v preamps was quite disappointing, although enjoying the freedom to move around on stage with out getting tangled/knocking the drum kit over my high end got very distorted. So I need to find a wireless that can handle a 18v output without distorting on the high end.

I know it sounds like a lot of trouble and I might be better off sticking with a lead but I am the kind of musician who always manages to get his lead tangled around his leg, or knock over symbols when moving across stage, or pulling the lead out of my amp and having to run back across stage to put it back in. I do need a wireless, but I need the right one for me.

Also as I mentioned at the start of this essay, the band I play with all want to go out and buy a system together, to avoid conflicts between units produced by different manufacturers so I need to find a wireless system that can support three, or even better four (one for the vocalist) units running at the same time without interference.

Does anyone know is such a system as this exists, at a price that will keep my band mates happy?

Thanks in advance for just reading this far! I know it was a bit longwinded :) But seriously if someone could point me in the direction of such a device that would meet my bands needs it would very much be greatly appreciated :bassist:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't know how this rumor started, but it is not true at all. Just because something is rated at 50 hz on the low end doesn't mean you're not hearing the fundamental of notes below it. The way I understand it is that there's just a slight volume dropoff below 50 hz. I could be wrong about the explanation, but I have used Samson wirelesses for years, which are rated at 50 hz on the low end, and I have never ever had a problem hearing the fundamental of the low B on my 5-string. And most bass cabinets aren't rated much lower on the low end that 50 hz either. I think it's a rumor started by panicky bass players who spend way too much time looking at spec sheets instead of listening.

3. julo

julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    yes usually the bandwidth of electrnic devices is given with the -3dB point so if it's below or above those points does not mean you won't hear it, it just mean you will hear it LESS, but your ear bandwidth is just below 50Hz, mostly 20 but i don't believe that, with all the big noise we put in our ears (ipod+ BASS :bassist: ), it is higher probably.

I'm also intersted in going wireless, any references, probably with programmable frequencies?

thanks
    J

4. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    the Sabine SWM700 series is fantastic, although nowhere near cheap. I'd buy another in a heartbeat if I could afford it. I only had one for a short time, and it was sweet. Nice compressor built in, too. Check it out at Sabine.com

5. Sorry guys, but you're wrong. This isn't a speaker cabinet we're talking about. The 50Hz cutoff is a steep (near infinte slope) filter to prevent cross-bleed out of the unit's assigned frequency bandwidth. If you hear the same "fundamental" with a four or five string bass with a unit with a 50Hz cutoff that you do with a cable, your cabs have never really reproduced your bass fundamental on the low notes in the first place.

Sennheiser's new EW G2 wireless should handle your frequency and levels and not cost you too much. They sell for around $500 in the US. Don't know what they would be in your neck of the woods.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well, I like to listen with my ears instead of using spec sheets to listen for me.

7. Bridge Cables

Bridge Cables Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Southern N C
  8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    When I tried out wireless in a store, it seemed that nothing even picked up anything below the low E. Havn't tried the G2 though. PBG, will the G2 gow down to a low B faithfully?