good year for Fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FiveStringsNme, Aug 30, 2003.

1. What do you guys think was a good year for Fender?
  2. 1962? Seems good. Maybe 1959. Lots of stuff going on. 65 is when CBS bought them out, so I'm guessing it must have been pretty good.
  3. 2003-they bought one of the bestest amp companies:bawl: (SWR)

Oh...I guess the year they made the Jazz bass,which was 60 something or whatever. Jazzes are cool:)
  4. 69

5. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The shorter answer would probably result from "What was a bad year for Fender?"... many of their most maligned 'quality' years are now becoming collector's items... Quality was said to suck after the CBS buy-out, but many late 60's Fenders are being sought by some as the holy grail... 70's era basses are huge right now, though they were scoffed at by many when they were brand new from the factory. I've never really liked any of the experiments in the 80's but have played some sweet basses from that period...

I've heard that 96 was a particularly bad year, but the best P-Bass that I've ever played, (by far), is a 96!!!

I think that Fender quality is under-going a huge upswing lately... MIA, MIJ, MIM, and Squier just keep getting better and better, IMO/IME

6. i definitely second that one!

i have a 2000 mim jazz that is way better than a 98 mia jazz i recieved this year (gift/free), which led to me defretting and refinishing the mia. :)
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Late seventies with the black pickguards... 76-79 I think.