Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gooday at it again !!!! New Ashdown

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lsimy, Nov 13, 2003.

1. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Mark Gooday (previously with Trace Elliot) and now king of the Ashdown empire is at it again with a new amp. It's called the MK500 and is targeted towards pure cleanliness different to the warmth and fatness his others intend.

I think Mark makes some really fine gear and on top of that, one of the most pleasurable guys in music to do business with. Talk about customer support!!!! I don't work for Mark and Ashdown, just a big fan of their gear.

Check out the new one:
    http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/content.asp?product=MK500

Looks like another winner from Ashdown. :)

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I would like to hear how it sounds. I agree with SMASH, though. I don't think the cleanliness would fit my tone.

3. I'm guessing that it's basically a Trace Elliot, version 2.0. Trace was famous for their "clean" tone back in the day.

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    We're Sorry
    21/10/03

We apologise for the offence caused by the manner in which System Of A Down's Shavo Odadjian is depicted in a recent Ashdown ad. This ad has now been withdrawn.

whats that about?

5. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    If I remember correctly from BP, he's lying on top of Ashdown cabs in a cross shape, and he is in the crusifiction pose. Never really thought about it until now.

6. looks cool but doesn't seem like the tone i'd want. Ashdowns are some of the only SS amps i'd consider at the same level as tube amps.

7. Bad_Boy

Bad_Boy

Sep 16, 2002
    Luton in UK
    I always thought that the ABM amps did a great job of covering the Ampeg fat & warm end of the market.

I guess now this amp is intended as a competitor to the SWR 550 type amp.

This just means more choice for the punter - sure is an ugly sucker though!

8. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    To behonest, I'm quite happy with the ABM 500 I have. The valve in the preamp adds plenty of warmth for me.

It is a bit fatter than the Trace that I had before whihc was very clean.......but I'm very fond of my Ashdown gear now!

9. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'd be interested to hear their 'harmonic enhancement' circuit ("the best way to describe this is that it is similar to the top end zing you get from a new set of strings")... I wonder how it would sound in combination with the warmth of my Sans Amp Bass Driver pedal?

I'll be keeping my ears out for one of these (although, at present, I'm quite happy with my Ashdown Mag-250 head).

Wulf

10. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    That looks rather similar to the last TE head (the big 1000W tri-amp one) minus the footswitchable drive and compression circuits. I wonder if they're trying to get all those players that use(d) Trace heads and have GAS for more of the same? I doubt they'll get any of SWR's customers - once you're using to semi-parametric EQ there's no going back to big scary graphics!

Alex

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

You know, I think you might have something there - I had an AH500 unitl a few months ago, and the features on the new MK500 do seem awfully familiar! Even the 12 band graphic EQ is a blast from the past!

12. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Well it is Gooday. He's the man behind the Trace stuff originally. I do hope that though this is a sort of signature amp for Mark King, that it remains a 'division' of Ashdown and not a new permanent route. I doubt that would happen. I too am a HUGE fan of the MAG and ABM series. I'm hoping to get an RPM-1 pre for a mini-rig sometime soon.

I say if this is something he wants to build and market, that is cool then, just as long as he continues with the original lines. I also think it's time he starts adding a compressor section to the preamps !!!!

13. 2pods

2pods

Mar 27, 2002
    Scotland
    I think you're dead right.:)
    Like you, I switched to Ashdown after a series of Trace's.
    At first you definately miss the hifi quality of TE.

It's reasonably easy to approximate it with the EQ,anyway (except for the VU going mad when the treble is boosted around 3 O'clock ;) )

I really like both the head and cabs.