1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Goodbye Aguilar DB 750, Hello Mystery Amp...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Swatkins, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Swatkins

Swatkins

Jun 21, 2006
    Portland, OR
    I could use some input, please.

I've decided to get rid of my Aguilar DB 750.

My needs: I play a 5-string Lakland Joe Osborn (fender jazz style) and a Moog Little Phatty. I loved the DB 750 because it treated the synth bass and the electric bass both very nicely, with smooth response and plenty of headroom.
    I'm running into a late 90's Eden 4x10 cabinet.

I've tried the Eden WT amps and liked them, but have mixed feelings about their EQ (a little too complex and add a lot more "color" than I prefer).
    I recently had the opportunity to try a Bergantino IP 310 with a super-nice mastering tube preamp on the front end and it blew me away how smoothly it treated the Moog bass all the way to the low low low synth frequencies. Buying the Berg and a halfway decent preamp would probably cost me about $1K out of pocket if I could get fair prices for the Aguilar and the Eden cab.

I was also considering the Eden WT 1205 because with a two-channel amp I could have the Moog and the Lakland plugged in and EQed at the same time. But I have also heard reports that the 1205 has some manufacturing defects.

Sorry for the long post, just wondering if anyone has some useful advice for this dude.

Thanks,
    Swatkins

2. eddiebo

eddiebo Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2002
    Montclair, NJ
    maybe a thunderfunk - I think they have a 2-channel model

thats a shame about the 750 - it is a great sounding amp - I have one from the first run and I have played hundreds of shows with it without a problem - when is yours from?

3. fretster

fretster Advanced Beginner Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Moraga, California
    Ummmm... useful advice: read all the threads in this section, which is devoted to amps and cabs, narrow your choices, then re-read what people say about those? :ninja:

Prolly takes longer than just asking.

4. Swatkins

Swatkins

Jun 21, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Not sure what year my DB 750 was made, I bought it used in 2006 from a repo man, so it was possibly abused in a former life.

Will I have to email Thunderfunk to get more detailed information on their product line-up? I didn't see anything about a two-channel amp in my initial search.

Don't want to make this out to be a bash-on-Aguilar post, I love their sound and most people I know have a lot of luck with their gear. I've just decided to go after something else.

5. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Judging by what you say and the type of sound you like...I'd say try a Mesa Titan V-12 or a Genz-Benz GBE1200.

I went from a DB750 to an AG500 to the Titan V-12. I love the Titan. Give it a whirl.

6. eddiebo

eddiebo Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2002
    Montclair, NJ
  7. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I'd look into a Markbass LMK. It's two Little Mark II's stacked into one unit. But there are so many truly great amps on the market these days that it's impossible to recommend just one. And new ones are coming out every day and each one is more mind blowing than the next.

8. Try to contact Dave Funk @ thunderfunk. The link listed in the thread is to the old tf550, he know offers the tf750, which is more powerful and can run a 2 ohm load. He's great to deal with and will be more the happy to answer questions about his products. Best of luck on your search

9. scarekrow

scarekrow

Jan 27, 2007
    +1 on the Mesa Titan:cool:

10. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    I REALLY like my Genz-Benz GBE-1200 - sounds great and has a bu##load of power!

Dan K.

11. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Definitely try a Mesa/Boogie, but not with the Eden 4x10 (the mesa/eden combo didn't work well for me). Titan or M-pulse 600 with a mesa or aguilar cab :bassist:

My m-pulse 600 with Mesa or Aguilar 12s works great with all my basses, and our cellist sounded amazing through them as well, so I think they'd do a good job with your synth.

Another good option would be getting a WT1000 for power and adding a simple all tube preamp like the Trace V-type, Demeter, or Alembic.

12. if the berg blew you away i think the search is over.

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I got nothing, but wanted to say, hey, cause I too play a Little Phatty as well as my BG's. Have you ever tried running your bass signal through the Phatty's filters? It's awesome, if you get the chance. There's a few steps to take first, Osc's 1&2 all the way down, Filter cutoff full up,Resonance full off,Overload full off, dummy load in Gate CV in, Envelope decay below 12 o clock, plug bass in main input, tweak filter, cutoff, and resonance. I know this wasn't the question, but if you get the chance, try this out. No pedal can come close to this filter effect. Good luck with the amp, Titan V12 is a good choice.

14. Swatkins

Swatkins

Jun 21, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Playing electric bass through a Moog filter is one of the great joys in life. If the rest of you don't have a Little Phatty or a Voyager, you can get one of those Moogerfooger low-pass filters and get squelchy, wonderful electric synth bass.

I'm still dreaming about the Bergantino IP-310 :p So maybe my search is over, but spending $1000 on top of whatever I could get for the Aggie and the Eden is just not quite as appealing as selling the Aggie, getting a new amp (for possibly less than the sale price of the DB 750) and pocketing the difference.

I tried a MarkBass rig (SD800 into a 4x10) and was super impressed. The LMK two-channel configuration looks perfect for my synth-and-electric-bass setup.

I emailed Dave Funk, and Thunderfunk does not make a two-channel amp.

Thanks for all your help, everyone. I've listed the Aguilar DB 750 on craigslist, and I'll be searching for new rigs in the meantime.

15. Laredo

Laredo

Nov 27, 2005
    Upstate, NY
    I love mine, plus you can use the tube pre-amp, solid state pre-amp, or blend both of them:D!...............Oh yeah, like he said, lots of power!:bassist:

16. You might want to try a two channel Focus. Since most of the 'warmth, etc' is coming from the synth, the relatively pure, transparent tone of the Focus, and the two independent channels might just be perfect.... 5 pounds, 800 watts into 4ohms... 2ohm safe.

The IP310 is of course wonderful if you don't care about the weight and are sure you can find a preamp that you really like.

The Markbass SD800 is awesome also, but as you point out, it's only single channel, and the dual channel MB is lower power.