Goodbye Ampeg. Hello SWR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by syciprider, Aug 17, 2005.

1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Traded in my troublesome BA115 for an SWR WM 210C combo.

260 watts using internal spkrs, 400 watts into 4ohms with ext cab.

5 band EQ and the usual bells and whistles.

Best of all, it sounds great also :hyper: . I was sorry to give up the Ampeg but I got tired of the loud buzzing. :crying:

I got the SWR for $550 new at GC. The tag said $899. MSRP is $1300.

The manager wanted to keep a regular customer so although I wasn't being difficult or anything, he hooked me up!

Gotta love GC!

Anyway, I'm happy for now. Until GAS strikes again.
  2. Enjoy. If you like SWR cabinets at first, they just keep getting sweeter and sweeter the more you tweak them. I was considering going with a different brand when I downsize, but why change what I'm 100% happy with. It's just become my sound. Play the hell out of it.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Nice deal, and great to have another SWR player in the house!
  5. My new Boogie sounds superb on my SWR Pro stack.
  6. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
  7. I'd love to hear a gig report. Especially if you use the built in DI to send a feed to the PA. Please let us know your experiences and the volumes you're playing at.

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    My only gig is at Sunday Mass. No chance for playing at high volume. So I will probably never know how the DI works.

But as for initial impressions, it doesn't go as deep as my now defunct Ampeg 15" (understandably) but it is clearer. The highs ring out well. My DADG Jazz pumped out a Jurassic Parkesque low D but sounded boomy until the low Mid EQ is turned down. My Ray gave sparkling highs with very defined lows but was a tad weak at the mids. I think these are just the differences between the basses being highlighted by the efficient SWR EQ.

As for volume. Well, I set the MM and the amp to stun and played that fat China Girl bassline and my wife complained about the vibrations in the house for the very first time (a clock fell off a table).

It's loud enough to annoy your nosy HOA officers.