Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Goodbye, Anniken

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gard, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    This morning, I made the hardest decision I've ever made in my 40 years on this earth.

My best friend, my #1 son, my constant companion for the past 17 years, Anniken, my tabby cat, who was with me before and after a 13 year marriage, had renal failure over the past few days. He stopped eating, and was having difficulty even walking this morning. I took him to the vet, we checked all of his blood work, and considered all of the variables.

It was his time, instead of letting him suffer any longer, we decided to end his suffering. Not that he was in pain, but he was not living well, and it was not going to ever get better.

A few of you in TB-land met him, and knew what I do: He was a lion among housecats. His heart was immense, he loved everyone.

My life was made so much more joyful by his presence in it, and the hole that will be left behind will never be filled.

Thank you, Anniken, and good bye.

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

2. My depest sypathies to you, Gard. I know how hard it is to lose a pet and i know this isn't an easy thing to do, but you did the right thing. I know Anniken will thank you for this.

Take it easy brother and i hope to be in the orlando area hopefully soon and more than likely give BC and yourself another visit.

3. I'm really sorry to hear that Gard, 17 years is a helluva long time to have a pet. Remember the good times...

Take it easy man.

4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    :( Sorry to hear it Gard.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Booze. Lots of it.

7. jaxlaw

jaxlaw

Oct 5, 2002
    Winter Garden
    Yo Gard I am sorry to hear about Anniken. I saw how you felt about Anniken. As sorry I am for your Loss I am happy that you had the opportunity to share a part of your life with a creature that received and gave so much love. Keep on truckin!

Much Love James! :(

8. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I'm watching my parents' puppy in addition to my own cat and dog and have been cursing all three today. Then I read your post, Gard, and realize it could be much worse. A pet for that length of time is truly a companion who has been down a long road with you and it is brutal having to make such a decision for your companion.

While the pain will dull, it won't go away, but that really is the measure of the impact Anniken had on your life and is a tribute to him.

9. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    So sorry Gard - you did the best thing possible for your best friend.

10. Hang in there. As someone already said, remember the good times.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    May I suggest a Viking funeral?

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    It would be appropriate, considering his namesake. :)

13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Good Job Gard! At least you gave your cat a home.

14. sorry for your loss

15. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    RIP Anniken......

Sorry, it's always very tough when we lose a pet.

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    17 years. Any cat that can live that long must have a lion's heart. Pets are a wonderful thing, even at times like these.

You did the right thing Gard.

17. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

My deepest condolences, Gard. I had a black Persian when I was in high school. He passed away 40 years ago! But I still miss him. He was so special. I know it is no comfort to you for me to tell you I know how you feel. I'll just say his spirit will be with you always.

18. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    sorry to hear that man, it sucks losing a pet, especially when they have been around that long. it seems like they are more of a family member after a while

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Man dude, I am sorry to hear this sad news. Losing a pet is a tough time. Never seems like it will be, but it is.

I feel for ya bro.

-Mike

20. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Years ago, my dog had the same problem, and the only real choice was the same thing. I held her as she was injected, looking in her eyes trying to comfort her. I remember her final sigh. Without a doubt one of the most difficult and painful moments of my life.

My heart goes out to you.