Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Goodbye enemy airship

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by dirtgroove, Oct 17, 2004.

1. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Alright so, I maybe a few years out of date, but I've just discovered this... ...and my faith in music has been restored, (it's a biannual occurance) Praise Allah that there are people like this making music that manages to be heard.
    All you people in Toronto- I'm green to the core that a scene that spawned the constellation label evolved on your doorsteps.

2. sean_seanson

sean_seanson

Jul 14, 2004
    Yes, I really love this album too but in my opinion none of the other three Do Make Say Think albums come anywhere close to Goodbye Enemy Airship. For me its that they sort of combine the sound of more guitar heavy instrumental bands like Mogwai and Godspeed You Black Emperor with more of a rhythmic focus of a band like Tortoise, having two drummers ala Tortoise and some nice simple bass playing as well. I remember seeing some pictures of them performing live and i think the bassist mostly used a 6 string and a fretless 5 string . Their use of horns adds a lot to the sound too.
    Their sound has been changing over the course of the last couple of albums, and I don't really care for the direction they've gone in. "& Yet & Yet" was still good but I thought the latest one "Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn" was pretty terrible.
    I don't know if you know but at least two and maybe more members of Do Make Say Think are in the band Broken Social Scene, who've put out some great stuff in the last few years, especially their album "You Forgot It In People". They don't really sound much like Do Make Say Think but are still pretty great.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    What ever happened to that pork pie hat?