Goodbye G&L, hello Schecter

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chilliwilli, Feb 16, 2006.

1. chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    So i was in the music store i bought my G&L tribute L2500 from with my girlfriend cause i needed strings and i was trying out the basses.

I tried out a Scheter Custom stiletto 5 and was really feeling it. Especially the $500 price tag. I really liked it. Spacing was a little tight, but i knew it was something i could get used to even if i do slap alot. My girlfriend said it was the best sounding one out of all of em too(I tried warwicks, G&L, Arias, and some other schecters) . This says alot coming form her since she used to be a good gospel musician(started playing less to concentrate on school) and has heard quite a lot of good bass tones not to mention good bass players in church. I trust her ears.

I also had been having troubles with the G&L that i havent experienced before with other basses. I found it a very difficult instrument to setup and have broken alot of strings. I never break strings. the pickups would give me problems with brighter strings and they were kind of sensitive also plus the electronics would sometimes be scratchy sounding. I came to the conclusion that i was not totally satisfied with the bass even if it was a good bargain.

So i decided to give one more shot. I had it professionally setup with a fresh pair of boomers(not my first choice, especially for 5 string) and I brought it home. Within about 15 minutes i snapped the g string. The scary part was i wasnt touching it, my finger just barely grazed it when i slipped while doing a line starting up from the a string to the d string. I wasnt happy. The next day i was talking to my girl and told her I was thinking about trading it in for the schecter. I didnt really come to a conclusion talking to her, but about 30 min after i hung up i was driving over to the place. I played it and it felt just as good. I just wanted to see what the guy would do if i said something nice about the bass. Hes real cool and is friends with me and my dad. Without me even asking he said "you want a deal on that?" I said yea and he said "you still have your G&L? You can trade it back along with some cash if you want"

Long story short i ended up parting with the G&L Tribute along with an Ibanez Soundgear 480 for a nice U.S. Schecter

Only thing the G&L had over the Schec was that it sounded heavier and was more versatile in tone(i dont think there is a more versatile bass than G&L), but it had more negatives i think. I like the Schec's neck better, i like the electronics better, i like the color better(quilted red color), and i even liked the elixir nanowebs it came with. As far as negatives i already mentioned string spacing which is not a back breaker for me like some ppl since i can adjust my technique and my hands aint to big. The other thing is the emg hz pickups, im not sure how i feel about them yet. They are definately cleaner sounding and It seems to give me a more scooped mid sound which i have been looking for I think, but for some reason im worried about being lost in the mix. i just need to hear em in a real life setting i think.

I have a friend in tampa who is real good and plays a non american Fender P with an emg pickup and it doesnt really sound fantastic when played by itself, but in a group setting(especialy gospel and funk music that he does) it sounds great. So i think ill be ok since i play the same type of music and my bass is higher quality. Maybe this will be the church bass ive been looking for.

Sorry about the long post, but i wanted to post it incase anyone was curious about Schecter's American made line. They offer affordable, versatile instruments that compare well to the big companies i think. Their korean instruments are pretty good too, ive played a few before. One of the basses i was most impressed by was a really, really, really good passive fender j bass clone with a coil tap that i think is better than most fenders. It was called a Diamond Jazz bass i think
  2. :eyebrow:
  3. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    You traded a bass that you didn't have any karma with for one that you do. Nuthin' wrong with that. Rock on, brutha! :)
  4. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    If the Stilletto custom 5 is the bass you got, they are made in Korea just like the rest of the Diamond series basses. Nothing wrong with that, just thought you should know. I have the elite 5 and it's a great player. The American made Schecters would have a much higher price tag than $500.
  5. i own a Stiletto Custom 5..

i dont know where it was made though, but it cost almost £500 ($1,000)
  6. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
  7. I was going to say I thought they were made in Korea. The only way, that I know of, to get an American made Schecter is to order a custom one.
  8. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    The Schecter Diamond Series basses have some serious bang for the buck; even the cheapies. However I found the Stiletto Studios and Customs to be really exceptional. I dig the Elites as well though I prefer and oil finished neck rather than gloss. I also like their discontinued California Series J basses though I've only checked out their 4 string (wish I could have gotten my hands on a 5).

Generally speaking, G&L is more my bag; but here no denying the bulk of the Schecter Diamond Series line is excellent.

9. Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    A Schecter C4 was the last bass I was seriously considering before I bought my L-2000 last year. The C4 had really great tone, felt great and was about half the price of the G&L. Well, I bought the G&L and do like it's tone versatility and overall quality and feel. But I do have some of the same issues with it that you mentioned - i.e. hard to setup and the electronics can be a little harsh/scratchy sounding at times (no broken strings yet though). I'd really like to get a C4 someday as a second bass.

Anyway, congrats on finding your bass (for now anyway :D )
  10. congrats on your new schecter, i liked the silletto when i played it too, but soapbars are annoying and cheesy looking so i lost interest.

have any of you checked out the new diamind j series? its a jazz without the chrome control setup on the pickguard, its just all one pickguard. i bet they look amazing and theyre cheaper than a fender standard
  11. gop_jeff

Feb 18, 2006
    Puyallup, WA
    I've been looking at getting this bass for a few weeks. I'm glad to see your review. I really enjoyed playing the one they had at GC but I wasn't sure if other people has the same thoughts on it that I did.
  12. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA

Do you have the one with the white flame maple top?

Does it have a separate cavity for the battery, or is it in the same cavity as the electronics?

I'm thinking of getting one of these and swapping out the EQ for a stacked Bass/Treble and Vari-Mid from EMG...