1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Goodbye G&L, hello Schecter

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chilliwilli, Feb 16, 2006.

1. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    So i was in the music store i bought my G&L tribute L2500 from with my girlfriend cause i needed strings and i was trying out the basses.

I tried out a Scheter Custom stiletto 5 and was really feeling it. Especially the $500 price tag. I really liked it. Spacing was a little tight, but i knew it was something i could get used to even if i do slap alot. My girlfriend said it was the best sounding one out of all of em too(I tried warwicks, G&L, Arias, and some other schecters) . This says alot coming form her since she used to be a good gospel musician(started playing less to concentrate on school) and has heard quite a lot of good bass tones not to mention good bass players in church. I trust her ears.

I also had been having troubles with the G&L that i havent experienced before with other basses. I found it a very difficult instrument to setup and have broken alot of strings. I never break strings. the pickups would give me problems with brighter strings and they were kind of sensitive also plus the electronics would sometimes be scratchy sounding. I came to the conclusion that i was not totally satisfied with the bass even if it was a good bargain.

So i decided to give one more shot. I had it professionally setup with a fresh pair of boomers(not my first choice, especially for 5 string) and I brought it home. Within about 15 minutes i snapped the g string. The scary part was i wasnt touching it, my finger just barely grazed it when i slipped while doing a line starting up from the a string to the d string. I wasnt happy. The next day i was talking to my girl and told her I was thinking about trading it in for the schecter. I didnt really come to a conclusion talking to her, but about 30 min after i hung up i was driving over to the place. I played it and it felt just as good. I just wanted to see what the guy would do if i said something nice about the bass. Hes real cool and is friends with me and my dad. Without me even asking he said "you want a deal on that?" I said yea and he said "you still have your G&L? You can trade it back along with some cash if you want"

Long story short i ended up parting with the G&L Tribute along with an Ibanez Soundgear 480 for a nice U.S. Schecter

Only thing the G&L had over the Schec was that it sounded heavier and was more versatile in tone(i dont think there is a more versatile bass than G&L), but it had more negatives i think. I like the Schec's neck better, i like the electronics better, i like the color better(quilted red color), and i even liked the elixir nanowebs it came with. As far as negatives i already mentioned string spacing which is not a back breaker for me like some ppl since i can adjust my technique and my hands aint to big. The other thing is the emg hz pickups, im not sure how i feel about them yet. They are definately cleaner sounding and It seems to give me a more scooped mid sound which i have been looking for I think, but for some reason im worried about being lost in the mix. i just need to hear em in a real life setting i think.

I have a friend in tampa who is real good and plays a non american Fender P with an emg pickup and it doesnt really sound fantastic when played by itself, but in a group setting(especialy gospel and funk music that he does) it sounds great. So i think ill be ok since i play the same type of music and my bass is higher quality. Maybe this will be the church bass ive been looking for.

Sorry about the long post, but i wanted to post it incase anyone was curious about Schecter's American made line. They offer affordable, versatile instruments that compare well to the big companies i think. Their korean instruments are pretty good too, ive played a few before. One of the basses i was most impressed by was a really, really, really good passive fender j bass clone with a coil tap that i think is better than most fenders. It was called a Diamond Jazz bass i think

2. :eyebrow:

3. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    You traded a bass that you didn't have any karma with for one that you do. Nuthin' wrong with that. Rock on, brutha! :)

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    If the Stilletto custom 5 is the bass you got, they are made in Korea just like the rest of the Diamond series basses. Nothing wrong with that, just thought you should know. I have the elite 5 and it's a great player. The American made Schecters would have a much higher price tag than $500.

5. i own a Stiletto Custom 5..

i dont know where it was made though, but it cost almost £500 ($1,000)

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
  7. I was going to say I thought they were made in Korea. The only way, that I know of, to get an American made Schecter is to order a custom one.

8. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    The Schecter Diamond Series basses have some serious bang for the buck; even the cheapies. However I found the Stiletto Studios and Customs to be really exceptional. I dig the Elites as well though I prefer and oil finished neck rather than gloss. I also like their discontinued California Series J basses though I've only checked out their 4 string (wish I could have gotten my hands on a 5).

Generally speaking, G&L is more my bag; but here no denying the bulk of the Schecter Diamond Series line is excellent.

r

9. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    A Schecter C4 was the last bass I was seriously considering before I bought my L-2000 last year. The C4 had really great tone, felt great and was about half the price of the G&L. Well, I bought the G&L and do like it's tone versatility and overall quality and feel. But I do have some of the same issues with it that you mentioned - i.e. hard to setup and the electronics can be a little harsh/scratchy sounding at times (no broken strings yet though). I'd really like to get a C4 someday as a second bass.

Anyway, congrats on finding your bass (for now anyway :D )

10. congrats on your new schecter, i liked the silletto when i played it too, but soapbars are annoying and cheesy looking so i lost interest.

have any of you checked out the new diamind j series? its a jazz without the chrome control setup on the pickguard, its just all one pickguard. i bet they look amazing and theyre cheaper than a fender standard

11. gop_jeff

gop_jeff

Feb 18, 2006
    Puyallup, WA
    I've been looking at getting this bass for a few weeks. I'm glad to see your review. I really enjoyed playing the one they had at GC but I wasn't sure if other people has the same thoughts on it that I did.

12. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Chilliwilli:

Do you have the one with the white flame maple top?

Does it have a separate cavity for the battery, or is it in the same cavity as the electronics?

I'm thinking of getting one of these and swapping out the EQ for a stacked Bass/Treble and Vari-Mid from EMG...