Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by charles21o7, Sep 15, 2004.

1. I lived on the coast of Mississippi, and for those of you who dont know, theres a big hurricane comin to destroy my house. All yesterday i had to pack up, and got myself to my parents house in Florence today. I took special care to bring all my music equipment and other valuables. My apartment is gonna be blown to shreads. So i figured its about time i moved anyway , thinkin about settleing in Jackson . Any one else have to leave cause of the hurricanes??
  2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    At least you are one of the smart ones getting out. If worse comes to absolute worst and your home is destroyed, at least you'll have your health... (and gear)

Best of luck! :bag:
  3. Oh my home will be gone, the greater half of the hurricane is heading straight for my city, and my apartment was near the water.
  4. Will you be getting any insurance money, in case your apartment is destroyed?

5. Some, mainly for one of my cars I had to leave behind, an Impala. None of my friends or family could save it, and outta that and my Nissan Titan, well I had to take the truck.
  6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    That sucks. I can't imagine what that must be like... Knowing your home is getting torn out from under you as such. :(
  7. Oh, okay. How are they doing today?
  8. Well my overprotective mom was freaked out about it all, then was extrememly relieved when i got here. My dad has been bragging about how he woulda rode it out had he lived there.
  9. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    I feel yah, I lost my roof in Frances, there was a mad dash to get the basses and amps out of my room and then i got in my car, drove to my girlfriends, and cried for about two hours. It wasn't the stuff that I cared about, but all of the memories that got ruined from all the water. The best thing to do, as soon as you get back, if there is any damage don't hesitate to call FEMA, they are giving us money for repairs that we don't need to pay back and they will compensate for your losses as well (but none of our losses were major and we arent greedy.)

Good luck in the Hurricane, be safe, watch for standing water and all that good stuff.
  10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Sorry to hear that man. Hope nothing is damaged too badly.

As a native Floridian, I can tell you that you did the right/smart thing by getting the heck out of Dodge.
  11. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Dodge? I think you misread...he lives in Mississippi.

brad cook
  12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Charles -

I'm happy to hear you had the sense to bail. My sister, niece, and nephew live in Mobile, and DIDN'T leave. I'm very worried about them, as they were MUCH closer to the center of the storm. I would be willing to bet that the damage isn't quite as severe as you fear. Still, discretion being the better part of valor, you did the smart thing: If you're near the water when a hurricane is coming, get out.

FYI, I grew up in Slidell, my parents and other sister are still there.
  13. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Hopefully, your place is far enough inland to scrub off some of power from the storm, thus reducing the damage... The major damages are usually caused by the wall of water that hits the coast line. When you say, you live near the water,,, how close? If you're a mile or more inland, it shouldn't be THAT bad.

Anyway, I hope things work out better than you anticipate...
  14. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Good luck with everything man. I can't imagine having to bail like that. My first inclination would be to try to ride it out, but I can only hope that reason would get the better of me and tell me to get my rear in gear and get out, like you did.

15. My apartments are called the "Sea view" Apartments and they are quite close, like, i walk a block from my building, theres the water.
  16. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Move to cal dude... we always welcome cool people... and you know what... huricanes are for wussies... earth quakes are where its at... so much more fun because you dont expect it :D like that one last week... that was AWESOME... seating at 5am... boom your desk just moved... boom it moved back into place :D
  17. Dr Teeth

Dr Teeth

Dec 11, 2003
    My sympathies.

At least you got warning, even though you've had to leave some of your stuff behind, you've had time to prioritise and save the stuff you could.

Best of luck, keep us posted.
  18. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Charles, can you give us an update? I hope everyone's ok, & the damages are minimal....