1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Goodbye LG flip phone. Today, I step into 2012!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stinsok, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    As many of you know, providing phones for a whole family can be pretty expensive. Finally got it worked out where everyone, including myself can git one of dem smart phones. My flip phone has survived getting wet, many falls, skids, etc. The front display doesn't even work any more. Yes, it's 2013.... my new phone is probably at least a year old (probably obsolete.)

2. Enjoy it, they're pretty cool. Whatcha get?

3. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    A "free" iPhone 4. I know somebody is snickering, but it's all new fangled and what not to me.

4. Smart phones may be smarter, but they are A LOT more fragile IMHO

5. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I did invest in an Otterbox Defender Case for it.

6. That would take care of the fragility issue. :)

I think you will enjoy it. They are very handy regardless of brand.

7. I hear that. Just got an iphone. The funny thing? I don't care about posting much anymore. :D

8. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I had a blackberry for years and took the iPhone last July.

Honestly, I have no idea how people took craps without a smart phone. First world problem.

9. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

I still have my iPhone 4 and have no plans to upgrade it at this time. It works FINE, it does more than I need, and uses the very readily available 30 pin connector - cables and chargers are only a coupla bucks at Meritline, etc.

No, it doesn't have Siri, but so what? THAT is gettiing a little to wrapped up with your phone. AND - it never works like in the commercials.

The first app you should add is the new Google Maps - it is excellent and offers voice turn-by-turn directions and is equal to any GPS unit. THe second app (IMHO) is the Cleartune tuner.

Have fun, and get a rubber case for it - even the thin ones will help a lot, and also prevent you from shorting out the antenna when you hold it in your left hand.

10. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    I hope it isn't the blue otterbox case. I had one and within 2-3 months the rubber outer covering was falling apart. All the little flaps on the edges just came off...can't even say they tore off...within a few months the case was useless. They wouldn't replace it because I didn't buy it at the Sprint Store. I bought it from the same sub-vendor or whatever you call them who sold me my iPhone when Sprint was out of stock. I've known 6 other people who have had this happen to their otterbox. All of them were blue. Never seen it with a different color. Maybe it was bad raw materials in the blue plastic or whatever. Anyway, since I emailed pix of the damage as well as copies of the receipt to otterbox and they refused to replace it, I won't buy another product of theirs. This was clearly a defective product. It should have been handled differently. My wife still has hers in a red otterbox that is perfectly fine and the two cases were purchased together.

11. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
  12. My otterbox is kinda messed up too, but it's my second one..

The first one they replaced no questions asked. I called them on the phone and explained the situation, they understood, asked when I bought it, where from, didn't ask for a recipt or anything, just where they could ship another to and what colour I had.

I have friends that have since gotten otterbox's and to my knowledge they've upgraded the silicone to a harder thicker plastic like piece that is still rubber but more durable.

I'm pretty surprised to hear that you had this trouble with them honestly. Maybe give them a call.

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I'd been holding off upgrading my first gen Droid because I have an unlimited data plan with Verizon. Took it in for a warranty replacement again and this time they had no Droids at the "warehouse" so of course they asked if I wanted to upgrade. I said no because I didn't want to lose my data plan. So they gave me a new Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G phone and my plan stays intact. They told me it had 16GB, turns out it has 32GB. My wife, who just upgraded around two months ago, is kicking herself for not being as patient.
    :D

14. I have a samsung intensity II, piece of crap. I have had it a year this month, its literally falling apart and doesnt hold a charge. I am in my early 20's and never had a smart phone. Not sure if I want one as all my friends do is play crap on there phones 24/7.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021