Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Goodbye, rhythm guitar player!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tombowlus, Oct 8, 2004.

1. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Hello, Akai Unibass! :bassist:

I just picked up a Unibass from a fellow TB'er, and at practice last night, with very little fuss I had a workable guitar tone running. I think that once I set up a rig for "rhythm guitar" and tweak it a bit, I will have a very good approximation of a rhythm guitar. I am thinking of my Walkabout through one or two EA Wizzy's. I may try using my Danelectro Daddy-O for distortion/overdrive either instead of or in conjunction with the Unibass' distortion.

Anyone have any unique tips or tricks to using a Unibass effectively?

Thanks, Tom.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    you know, I read the thread title and immediately knew which pedal you were going to be talking about!

Like you're doing, setting up a separate rig is the best way to go. Otherwise the sound can get lost. I have a lot of fun using it to double riff lines.

Oh yeah, and keep in tune since it seems to get a biit tempremental when you're not exactly in tune.

3. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Good advice! Thanks!

Tom.

4. I've found multiple uses for the UniBass. On jazz and instrumental tunes I use it to add the upper octave kinda like an 8 string or piccolo bass. For a rock/blues trio gig and a bass & drums experiment I run it thru seperate efx and amp and treat it more like a gtr signal. I usually run the upper out put thru a Dr Q, Daddy O, Psycho Flange and Milk Shake chorus and add some reverb with an Art MultiFX LT. The amp I use is a GK ML S which has a clean and overdirve channel with boost and use a 2x12 cab. :bassist:

5. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    The Unibass is my desert island pedal.

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

If you want to go with separate outputs, jsut use a small guitar amp.
    Like a 15 W tube amp is you can, or a little combo.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    my 8 string satisfies my guitar longings when i get them, just a touch of dirt from my sans amp di and its all good - although i must go try it thru the od channel of an aguilar 500, i bet that would be insane.

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I had considered picking up an 8 string, but I like the idea of having two separate signals and rigs to tweak, so that the bass sounds like bass, and the octave up sounds like rhythm guitar. With a few more effects thrown into the mix, and two rigs, the Unibass gets you pretty much there.

Just curious, though, what model 8-string bass do you play? I do still find them (and 12-strings) intriguing.

Tom.