Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Goodbye tabs!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Guss, Nov 27, 2002.

1. I've decided to start to relearn sheet music. I have done it before, when I played saxaphone for the school band, but its been four years since then and I have since forgotton what seems to be everything. I was wondering how long will it probably take to pick it up again. Thanks:D

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Congrats on your return to the literate world... You shouldn't have much trouble "remembering" how to read music. It's already in your head, you just have to pull up the files, know what I mean ?;)

3. Well, I hope so.
    I've got a teacher currently, and he has helped my playing alot, but not by teaching music. He is a very good player and I emulate the way he plays. However the actual meat of the lesson has consisted of me bringing in a tab and a CD, and learning the song.(particurly a challenging one none the less) I don't think that THIS aspect of our lessons are really helping at all. I think he knows sheet music, so, I'm gonna learn all the notes on the board by myself(because those are in my head too, and more fresh at that) and then ask him if he can teach me to read notation.
    YEEEEEHAAAAAAAA!

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Why do people keep spelling it saxaphone? It's an O, people - saxophone.

5. reachjkh

reachjkh

Nov 21, 2002
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Good for you. I tried using tab so I could pass along some instrumental songs to a boy I'm helping on guitar/bass and decided "forget this. I'm gonna learn how to read sheet music".

So, I go to class at a community college three days a week instead of a lunch break to learn music theory and notation.

If you have a background in it, maybe it won't take you too long to get the feel again. I on the other hand am terrible. My kids read sheet music like they're reading a book and I just watch in amazement. I sure wish I'd done it as a young man instead of waiting till I have a family and job to compete with my music.

work hard at it!
    Jeff

6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    LOL :D

Now that's irony at its most ironic. I won't even comment on the insinuation that tabbers are illiterate.

;)

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    LOL, that is funny

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    not illiterate in the sense of not understanding or being able to communicate a language. But lets be real ; if you cannot read music you are musically illiterate. If you go to a gig and are handed a lead sheet (and it is not only on a jazz gig that you will be handed a leadsheet )and it looks like cuneiform, your bandmates are unable to communicate with you because you do not know the appropriate mode of communication - in this case modern western notation.
    This has nothing to do with being able to play but has everything to do with communication- that's what notation is for - to communicate notes, rhythms, and articulation, as well as dynamics.

Tabs have no ability to notate rhythm and are therfore useless unless you are familiar (read: you've heard it before) with whatever it is that has been put into tablature.

Besides that, I have NEVER seen a completely accurate tab. My students bring me tabs all the time. I show them what the tabs say, and then I teach them what the really hear and want to learn.

Learniing to read music will never hamper anyones ability to be a great player, it will only enhance onces ability to comprehend and communicate.

So yes, tabbers are musically illiterate.:rolleyes:

9. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Congrats on taking that step away from TaBz! It can't be said enough how valuable it is to learn how to read music. I'm sure you will be able to pick up the basics in no time, as you have done it before. But give it time. You don't learn how to read overnight. And there's lots to standard notation to be learned.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    You'll come crawling back!

Well, probably not... I haven't used tabs in a long time come to think of it. I usually figure out stuff by ear though. But then again, I never play anything hard because I suck. ;)

11. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I have also started working on my reading and have sworn off tabs. I am seeing that I've developed some bad habits - now when I see an 'A' written on the top line of the bass clef, my semi-gimp thought process is something like: "what note is that, well it's on the top line so I know it's on the G string - d'oh! wiataminute this isn't tab..."
    So listen up good kids, I know that it's going to seem like all your friends are doing it, you may give it a try and think that it makes you feel good, that you are more in control than you have ever been, you might feel like you are at the top of your game - but there is a down side that is dark and scary and it will take some time rear it's ugly head...but by then it could be too late...you will have become hopelessly dependant on the TaBz and you will realize that you truly are a failure - that you are only a fraction of the man you could have been, society will have no use for you, your family will disown, you'll be left all alone, no friends, you'll be living in a van down by the river and relying on the public library for internet access to get your tabcrawler fix, you sick bastard. But seriously, can we get some more of those applications for clan tabevil over here...thanks.

12. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    ...... now just ditch "Fitch" too!