Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Michael Manring, Sep 4, 2000.

1. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Hello all,
    It is with great regret that I must report that I will no longer be able to co-host this forum. Bass Player magazine (for whom I’ve been a columnist for many years) has politely let me know that they feel my participation here is in conflict with my relationship with BP. While I’d like to continue to do both, I certainly respect their point of view.

I have greatly enjoyed the discussions here and I’m very grateful for all the interest that folks have expressed in my music. Fortunately, I’m able to leave the forum in the very capable hands of Steve Lawson (whose music you really should check out if you haven’t already!). I’d like to invite anyone with questions about my music to visit my web site at or to e-mail me directly at

Again, my sincere apologies and thanks.

Best wishes,
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that's truly a tragedy that they are coercing you to leave, michael. i really liked the fact that you were involved with this community, and i benefited greatly by your involvement and contributions.

i can't fathom why they would feel somehow threatened by your involvement here. your columns in the magazine didn't address single individual's concerns like you do here, they seemed to me to be more lesson oriented vs. question and answer.

oh, well, thanks for your time and your gracious involvement here. i for one got alot out of it, and will miss it. :D
  3. Mr Manring,

I have only lurked here and have not posted but your leaving, especially under these circumstances has me troubled.

It is very hard for me to understand the editorial position taken by Bass Player magazine. I read the editors statement of purpose that was offered when the luthiers were asked to leave and this action seems to be in contradiction to that purpose. It appears, evidently, that the editors have very little concern for the growth of the art and are illustrating that by squelching all other forums of discussion that might exist simultaneously. Motives aside, there can't be much else that they could object to in the way of discussion outside of their pages, but it seems possible that they could continue their assault on academic discussion by asking that even personal web pages be given up in lieu of columns in their magazine. I would not assume for a minute that the idea hasn't been discussed. How this assault on the free trade of ideas will benefit the magazine will never be known but it is assured that it will continue unless key artists as yourself stand up and fight against it. Please understand, this is not a flame post or an attempt to start a war of words over the subject. But to put it plainly - While you say that you respect their point of view, IMO you are showing a certain level of disrespect to the members of this forum and to the concept of free information exchange when you go away quietly without a hint of indignation. Certainly BP should bear the brunt of blame for this bullying, but you and others in your same position are accessories to the fact. We enjoy your contributions, need your contributions, and it is wrong to be forced to buy a second rate publication (despite it's columnists) to gain some direct access to your expertise if you should want it the other way.

Not sorry for the rant

Allan Hamilton

(Note to the forum: This was copied and sent to Mr. Manring as an email tonight at 10:35 pm)
  4. theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    Ugg. You have to be kidding.
    How in any way does you answering questions here effect bass player magazine? Granted alot of stupid people asked you stupid questions. Kind of a waste of your talent to have some punk ask you what eq settings the guy from korn uses.*chuckles* It was still cool you were here.

Now I really hate Bass Player. Tell them Im cancelling my subcribtion ASAP. Time to subscribe to one of the REAL bass magazines.

Michael. I know you have to think this is BS.
    Can they tell you when to do clinics also?

[Edited by theJello on 09-07-2000 at 08:27 AM]
  5. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    "Can they tell when to do clinics also?"

Good question. I'm betting that if they haven't yet....
    they will.