Goodman Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Larzito, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    A few months back I encountered a custom bass at Larry Morgan music in the Dallas area. Immediately impressed by the craftmanship and design philosophy, I contacted its creator, Jamie Goodman to commission him to build a bass completely to my specifications.

I wanted a P/JJ configuration, like the Fender P Deluxe. But I wanted modern design tweaks such as a stiffer three piece neck, tilt back headstock, heelless neck joint (like a Modulus Q), active 18 volt OBP-3 pre and more of a J type neck profile.

Goodman is a master craftsman...flawless fit and finish, wonderful fret work, with details like the battery and electronics cavites using the body wood as covers instead of plastic. He is also very easy to work with and worked dilligently to fulfill my wish list, down to the hard to find threaded screw inserts.

The result is an extremely playable great sounding bass! The design goal was to mesh modern and vintage...alder body, maple neck, laquer finish, with the ability to sound modern and cutting or round and mellow. If you are looking for someone to create a bass that meets your needs exactly, Jamie Goodman is the man. The bass he made for me was my idea of the perfect bass for me. Based on my experience, I have full confidence he could build YOUR perfect bass too...for a fraction of the cost of many of the other custom builders.

Comments from listeners who are used to hearing my Alembic J were along the lines of...big and focused and I FELT the lows more. At a recent show, the headliner's bassist played a vintage P. People were telling me how much better my bass sounded...this was through the same amp, same soundman, same PA. He has a 5 string at Larry Morgan right now if any of you DFW peopel want to take a look.
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    No pics, no bass!

:D ;)

BTW, does he have a website?
  3. Thanks Larry! I'm glad you like it. :hyper:

I do have a web page. I warn you, I'm better at building basses than web pages. The page still needs work. If you have any specific questions contact me.

The link to my page is in my signature.
  4. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Wow, that NC-4 is one slick bass! I think I hear the gas callin. :crying: :)
  5. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Here are a couple of pics...

Attached Files:

6. Jamie,
    Glad you're still cranking it out!!

I've played a couple of Jamie's basses and they simply smoke! He built a 4-string with a black korina body that I simply couldn't put down! Jamie, if that bass had been a 5-string, I would OWN it!! :eek:

Also glad to see updates to your website! ;) :cool:
  7. Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Really cool basses man!!!
    The Nc4 it's really a beauty!!
  8. Thanks Micolao.

I've just completed a design for the NC5. I hope to get started on an NC5 and a couple of NC4's soon and get them in some stores.