1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Goofy question re raising Fender Original p bass pickup height?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by theculprit, Jan 27, 2012.

1. theculprit

theculprit Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Houston
    On raising the height of p-bass pickups, I read on an old TB thread that cutting an old mouse-pad to fit under the pickups was an option. The question I have is: I purchased a Fender Original P bass pickup and it has a metal plate that sits in the cavity below the pickups. If i were to add mouse-pad or any other material (foam) to raise the pickups would I put that material under the brass plate, or would I insert the material between the brass plate and the pickups? Does it even matter? :help:

2. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    Yes it matters. Put some foam directly under the pickup, not under the brass grounding plate. That should sit flush at the bottom of the cavity.

3. theculprit

Jan 27, 2012
    Houston
    Thanks bassdog. That was my first instinct, but I wasn't sure if it was important that the pickups be in direct contact with the brass plate. But to know you know is to know, and I did not know.

Oh wait there is a wire from the pickups soldered to the plate. I guess that connects the pickup to the plate? Forgive my noobness

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    that just grounds the plate.

5. theculprit

Jan 27, 2012
    Houston
    Ok. Well here's my chance to learn something.

#1 What is the purpose of the plate and why does it need to be in contact with the guitar body?

#2 If I shim up the height of the pickup with foam between the pickup and the plate will there be any unintended negative consequences?

#3 Is there a preferred material to use in raising the pickup over old mouse-pad, and if so why?

Any help is much appreciated.

6. Suggestion: to get more/better response to your thread, title the thread with your topic, like "ground plate question from wiring noob." I have had better success with threads that way.

Your question isn't goofy at all! Follow the wiring path for your answer: grounding wire from pickup to grounding plate and separate grounding wire from plate to back of volume pot tells you that the grounding plate is a way to avoid running a wire all the way from pickup to back of pot. At least that is my understanding. I'll subscribe so I can hear responses to this USEFUL thread. Keep asking questions here. It's a great way to learn. Before TB I didn't know a thing about set-up and repair. Now I can do just anout all of my own work except fret leveling/crowning.

7. theculprit

Jan 27, 2012
    Houston
    Thanks bassman. In hindsight I think the better choice would have been to put this thread in the pickup and electronics section. Is there a way to move the thread over there and re title it per your suggestion?

8. theculprit

Jan 27, 2012
    Houston
    grounding wire from pickup to grounding plate and separate grounding wire from plate to back of volume pot tells you that the grounding plate is a way to avoid running a wire all the way from pickup to back of pot. [/QUOTE]

Bassman, do you mean a way to avoid running a wire all the way from the bridge? The pickup and the plate are in the same spot, so there is no difference in run length there.

9. It'more about ease of soldering but also
    About not having to run a ground wire through the body cavity. If you switch pickups then it's easy to de-solder and the n re-solder the ground wire that runs from pickup to plate than it would be if that same wire to back of volume lot. Soldering to pots is harder because raising surface temp of pot to soldering level is trickier than raising ground plate surface temp. Make sense?