1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

google apps for band management

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mambo4, May 12, 2011.

1. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    My band uses google apps for a lot of stuff, very useful
    -our own band domain for myMaill@mybandname.com
    -google calender for scheduling
    -google docs to share articles, PDFs, and spreadhseets track expenses / projects

are there other useful google apps for band management that you know of?

2. I tried to, but a couple of our band members can't access it from work, so everything ends up getting sent around in email.

3. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    why coudln't they access it? Blocked by company policy?

My day job uses google apps as well, and at first I was unable to log in to band stuff at the same time. figuring out how to get at both simultaneously took some help-file searching but I managed to get it going...

another snafu we hit was that even tho evereybody had acces thru their myMail@mybandname.com accounts, they typically browsed using their "real " email addresses. so everything had to be set up in Google apps to allow them to use those emails as well.

It works great, but getting things actually working is not the most user friendly experience.

4. I personally use it for when I plan shows as well. I make a presentable, easy-to-read spreadsheet for bands to show them their set times. Works pretty well.

5. We have been thinking about using mobile facebook at shows for people to send us requests. That's about it.

6. Yep. I do have all our lyrics and various documents on google docs. I also keep all our practices and shows on the shared calender. I wish I had more tech savvy bandmates

7. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I like drop box because it can handle bigger files.

8. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

dropbox for files...

my.calendar.com for calendars (no login .. group edits)

9. I too use Google Docs.

About the size limit, Docs has a 1GB limit, DropBox has no limit .

That said, Docs has 1GB limit free storage, DB has 2GB
    $5 a YEAR gets you 20GB storage on Google Docs
    $10 a MONTH gets you 50GB storage Drop Box

I'm not certain whether when you extend your Google Docs capacity above 1GB you can store files larger than 1GB.

So from the absolute lowest cost point, Google Docs still has the edge there.

10. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Google has a 5 mb per file limit.

11. miltslackford

miltslackford

Oct 14, 2009
    We use it for confirming shows between all band members - easy to create a spreadsheet, pretty useful

12. That may have been true in the past, however it has changed.

Size limits : Getting to know Google Docs - Google Docs Help

If it really is still at 5mb, please don't tell them, cuz I have some big ass files there :) Its where I put our 3h practice recordings at nearly a gig a piece...